There are newer employer reviews for VCA Antech

Personally rewarding, professionally disappointing

Former Employee - Hospital Manager
Former Employee - Hospital Manager

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Compassionate and caring individuals
Team-focused work environment
Great discounts on care and medicine for pets of full-time employees
Excellent quality of medicine at some VCA Hospitals

Cons

Inconsistent in quality of service across hospitals.
"Wage freezes" for all employees despite obvious corporate investment in projects like "Scriptright," "Vethical" and accruing new practices
Non-existent or rarely used training protocols for new-hires
Communication from the corporate office was inconsistent, confusing, and usually hard to reinforce that the hospital level

Even after being part of VCA/Antech for nearly 2 years, I am still unable to describe what this company stands for or the public image it wants the consumer to believe in . I know what the mission statement 'says', and while I see the assistants, techs, and most of the vets working compassionately and professionally on the front lines, I never saw that reinforced by management or 'corporate'.
As a company, VCA needs to refocus it's growth internally. Hourly employees are rarely given raises, even after years of hard work and loyalty, and from what I can tell, most can barely afford the cost of living on what they make, let alone afford the sub-par health insurance. In my time with the company I saw a lot of outstanding and talented employees leave for greener pastures (including myself). If this company isn't willing to invest in good-hiring practices, training, and retaining its employees, I don't think it has a very bright future,
Also, I often felt like management was perpetuating this idea that "the veterinary field just doesn't pay well, so you gotta love what you do". I know what the numbers look like, and while we all can't be pulling in six figures, it's wrong not to offer fair benefits and decent annual raises to loyal and dedicated employees because it should be enough for them to feel the 'reward' of helping animals. The reason we chose this profession is because of our love for helping animals, it's manipulative and unfair to use our compassion as a means of denying proper compensation for a job well done.

127 Other Employee Reviews for VCA Antech (View Most Recent)

Frustrating Work place

Former Employee - Receptionist
    Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Excellent medical care provided by caring Veterinarians.
    Opportunities for advancement depending on your willingness to work.
    Opportunities for part-time workers.

Cons

Obsolete practice managemen systems.
    Unwilling to spend money for modern phone systems.
    Failed to deal with conflicts between front-office staff and treatment staff.
    Local management required to spend 40-50% of their time working on administrative tasks unrelated to improving client experience at Clinic.

Look at your practice from the eyes of a client and their pet and focus on that process.

can't wait to leave

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The company is so massive it might be different in what division/office you work at.

If you are smart, and keep your head down, you might be able to have a work-life balance.

Cons

HORRIBLE benefits, minimum required by state. 2 weeks vacation and 1 week sick, no berevement, no jury duty?!? No short term disability? High copay for mediocre insurance. 2 weeks vacation does not cut it for professionals that have to work insanely hard in an understaffed environment on call 24/7 with very little flexibility. It definitely leads to an attitude of not giving a crap about quality output.

Improve benefits, improve work/life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for VCA Antech

Worked for VCA Antech? Contribute to the Community!