Average rating for an average company

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician  in  Vernon Hills, IL
Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at VCA Hawthorn in Vernon Hills, and I had great co-workers. They were the only reason I enjoyed my job so much, the doctors were great as well as the head technician and the kennel staff.

Cons

I would get called off when it was too slow for me to come in. This was a total bummer since I was full time but barely making 36 hours a week, which I was told would over time get closer to 40 hours a week, but with getting called off all the time my hours were only reduced and I was scared of losing health benefits due to such low hours. They make you punch out for lunch, and you only get 30 minutes anyways so I didn't understand the reasoning for punching out for such a short lunch break. They paid me well, but when I quit and they had the kennel assistant move up to my position since she basically knew everything anyways, they barely raised her minimum wage pay rate and I still have no idea why. She is still, 1.5 years later, writing letters to VCA to try and get her pay higher, closer to what a technician should be paid. Honestly that whole situation just saddens me and I dislike how VCA feels like they can get away with paying people so poorly.

Have some common sense and pay people what they're worth, you may think you're getting away with murder by paying technicians barely over minimum wage, but that is how you get bitter and angry employees who will only find better higher paying jobs, which isn't hard to do when you're paying the lowest. Honestly, grow and pair and pretend like you actually care about your employees and their well-being. Thank you.

Other Reviews for VCA Antech

Typical Corporate company where only the numbers matter.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at VCA Antech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff benefits for pet care are very good. Outside of that the commitment to employees is non-existent.

Cons

Very long hours without adequate pay. No flexibility for family/career balance. The goal for patients to be treated with the utmost care come far behind how much the company is making.

Upper management/HR need to listen to the reasons employees that turn over so rapidly. This was NOT a good experience for me or all of the others who left under such difficult terms.

Terrible management ruins the company.

Former Employee - Revenue Accountant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VCA Antech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay for fresh graduates.
    Free soft drinks for those unconcerned about their health.
    Most employees are very friendly.
    They do have special company events.

Cons

No growth or opportunities.
    High turnover because people eventually quit or get fired because of poor management.
    Horrible management because all the smart people leave, and the less intelligent ones stay to get promoted. That's why you'll see wash-ups (law students who couldn't pass the bar, 30+ year olds w/o CPAs or MBAs) as your supervisors.

Be more friendly with the staff, and stop playing into childish politics. When you are writing up and firing employees left and right, and others are leaving the company, it might be time to start pointing the finger at management instead of the staff. Plus, management should set the tone by actually working; not by coming in late and leaving early. The CEO should make it mandatory that all management attend courses on how to properly manage people.

There are newer employer reviews for VCA Antech.

Worked for VCA Antech? Contribute to the Community!