There are newer employer reviews for VCA Antech

LVT

Current Employee - LVT  in  Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - LVT in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discounts on services, wonderful people to work with, good medicine and doctors, good pay rates for licensed personnel

Cons

Expensive health insurance, grossly understaffed ICU department--usually only 2-3 technicians and/or assistants on staff at all times with 12+ in-hospital patients plus incomings, management plays favorites, when you go to management to try to rectify problems with people not doing their jobs to the fullest, the responsibility pretty much just becomes yours to do that person's job plus your own, horrible review process (I have worked there 3 years and have had one review--which went terribly, due to the people making it having personal issues instead of concrete issues--and a promise of another that has never come), lack of pay raises for good employees (I work with a girl who has 10 years of experience in the field and is the lowest paid employee at the practice, including reception, but has only received a miniscule raise in the last 2 years), lack of proper job placement (everybody new gets put in ICU, even though that is the most difficult place to work--we have lost probably about 5 good employees that could've done a great job in a different department but couldn't handle the understaffed nature of ICU and everyone's grouchy attitude about it), paying higher-paid employees to come in to fill in on the weekends in ICU when they are understaffed (which is always, so this happens pretty much every weekend) because they are usually the better employees and are "easier" to have come in, not disciplining employees who have obvious problems (we have a girl who works at our practice who has missed 50% of her shifts this past year and nothing ever gets done about it; they just keep calling in the same people to fill in for her shifts and get overtime), not appreciating the good employees--some of whom are considering moving on to another practice

Appreciate your good employees. Properly discipline people who are blatantly unprofessional and who aren't holding up their end of the worker-employer deal. Do more things to raise morale for your employees (for starters-give everybody their Memorial Day and Labor Day back as a paid holiday--everybody has complained about this). Pay attention to people's strengths and use that to benefit the company as a whole by placing them in the right setting to be successful. Stop wasting money that could potentially be used for raises for good employees on filling in positions in understaffed departments because nobody prepared for what deductive reasoning could've told you would be a day where you would need more people.

128 Other Employee Reviews for VCA Antech (View Most Recent)

Kennel Tech aka Pet Care Specialist...

Current Employee - Kennel Tech  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Kennel Tech in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at VCA Antech part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    Co-workers are very nice.
    Customers are mostly very nice.
    Facility is nice and well kept plus clean.

Cons

Pay, they start you at minimum wage and you will never receive a pay wage.
    Some customers are picky and slightly rude.
    Can be stressful at times but mostly enjoyable.

Kennel techs do your hard grunt work and you need us so stop thinking of us as disposable. Pay what we are worth, you can't run the pet lodge without us, you wouldn't have people to feed patients, clean up after them, walk patients, do all the hospital laundry, do dishes, keep the hospital clean and sanitary without us. VCA needs kennel techs so start acting like you appreciate us.

Average rating for an average company

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician  in  Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at VCA Hawthorn in Vernon Hills, and I had great co-workers. They were the only reason I enjoyed my job so much, the doctors were great as well as the head technician and the kennel staff.

Cons

I would get called off when it was too slow for me to come in. This was a total bummer since I was full time but barely making 36 hours a week, which I was told would over time get closer to 40 hours a week, but with getting called off all the time my hours were only reduced and I was scared of losing health benefits due to such low hours. They make you punch out for lunch, and you only get 30 minutes anyways so I didn't understand the reasoning for punching out for such a short lunch break. They paid me well, but when I quit and they had the kennel assistant move up to my position since she basically knew everything anyways, they barely raised her minimum wage pay rate and I still have no idea why. She is still, 1.5 years later, writing letters to VCA to try and get her pay higher, closer to what a technician should be paid. Honestly that whole situation just saddens me and I dislike how VCA feels like they can get away with paying people so poorly.

Have some common sense and pay people what they're worth, you may think you're getting away with murder by paying technicians barely over minimum wage, but that is how you get bitter and angry employees who will only find better higher paying jobs, which isn't hard to do when you're paying the lowest. Honestly, grow and pair and pretend like you actually care about your employees and their well-being. Thank you.

There are newer employer reviews for VCA Antech

Worked for VCA Antech? Contribute to the Community!