VCA Antech

www.vcaantech.com
  www.vcaantech.com
There are newer employer reviews for VCA Antech

Don't sell your practice to this company if you can avoid it...

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

The hospital's in a nice area, and the doctors (who were there before the buyout) are excellent.

Cons

We got bought out. That in itself is demoralizing. The irony of watching a video about going the extra mile in customer service, (termed "giving them the pickle") then being told we were no longer sending flowers to long term clients whose pets had died, because it costs too much. Selling less effective flea control because it's cheaper, and having to change recommendations every 8 months because management found something cheaper elsewhere. DOS based practice management software, anyone? The benefits aren't comparable to other practices around here. Yes, we get insurance, but we pay several hundred a month, where other hospitals around here cover $200 of the insurance, and you pay the difference. This may be the case with VCA, but it's hard to tell. VCA does a lot of cost cutting , seemingly at the expense of patient care, ie variety of medicines, treatments available.

Less micromanagement would be nice.

144 Other Employee Reviews for VCA Antech (View Most Recent)

Bad Management, Use Caution.

Former Employee - Groomer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Groomer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

The best reason to work at VCA is the employee discount. Free vaccines for up to four of your animals per year, 20% off Hills food, up to 75% discount off of bloodwork and surgeries for your same four pets. Most of the doctors are nice within VCA, they do seem like they care are are compassionate about your pet. When you do something good, the management will usually tell you that they liked what you did. If you help with something major, then they really tell you they appreciate what you have helped them with. Also, the management will usually decide to have a pizza party or something for the employees each month, which helps alleviate some of the stress of the job.

Cons

The worst of the downsides to VCA has to be the way the management treats the employees when they are short staffed. Some of the managers will help out with kennels if there is no attendant, others will not. They, however, will ask the employees that have been there all day if they can stay until closing to help out because (insert excuse here). Good luck at getting a day off, make sure you tell 10 different people that you want the days off, because management might forget and put you on the schedule or make decisions when they THEMSELVES are out of town regarding your work schedule. Another thing that is completely wrong is that they don't give you a lunch break, even though it is a law. You do well if you get two, ten minute breaks over the course of a day. Also, when people don't show up for their shift, and the manager isn't able to come back in to work that person's shift you sometimes have to work with a receptionist, vet tech, and one doctor doing everything in the hospital because you're short a kennel person. Imagine: Running to let out a dog to potty while answering the phone, starting a load of laundry, holding a dog for a pedicure or bloodwork, and getting one appointment into a room while you have two standing in line to check out, and one person to pick up a prescription refill. It happens a lot and is very stressful. When you feel that because of the good things you have done for the company (or the fact that you've been there over a year and it's time for your review) and ask your manager if you can get a payraise or promotion they always say they will get that for you and six months later you're still waiting. No sense talking to the regional manager about the problem either, she won't call you back, and will just ask the hospital manager what is going on and then disregard what you've told her about the problems there. Not to mention that every February the company as a whole raises their prices 6% across the board. The prices for veterinary care are astronomical and to keep raising prices is ridiculous when half the clintele are elderly and can barely afford the basic annual exam and vaccines that are over $100.00 for their pet. Also, if you work on commission, you have to make sure that you actually get paid for each week on your check. I was not paid on three seperate occassions until the NEXT check. Who can afford to pay bills with nothing?

Listen to your employees, they see what you sometimes don't. Not the management employees, but the ones UNDER them, they are the ones that have to deal with the bad attitudes and lackluster management abilities of the people you have in there as managers. Perhaps you should send someone in to inspect each facility to ensure it's up to code as well and there aren't multiple problems relating to pet and human safety in each building. (I.E.- FIRE HAZARDS-bad wiring etc.)

An excercise in frustration

Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Hospital Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

Gives a very structured environment for a new manager.

Cons

Poor communication between home office and hospitals, and the corporate support staff is nearly uniformly abysmal. Large portions of the workday are spent following up on A/P, vendor relations, and other tasks performed poorly by home office staff. It was not atypical to have vendors deny services for nonpayment on accounts three to five months overdue. It's hard to run a hospital when you can't order medical supplies. As a publically owned company, maximization of profit takes a front seat to quality of medicine. Not that you can't find good doctors within the system, but constraints on staffing and budget make it difficult to take care of clients and patients as well as one would like.

Focus on quality of support staff - consider adding corporate support staff as new hospitals are added. Company growth without commensurate growth of infrastructure weakens the company as a whole. Honestly, we need to consider moving our corporate office our of downtown LA if we can't pay our support staff more. High costs of living and commuting in this area make it difficult to attract and keep good corporate support staff at the wages we pay. Consider decreasing the prominence of branding in the hospital. Distrust of corporate branding on the part of the client tends to work against us, on the whole.

There are newer employer reviews for VCA Antech