There are newer employer reviews for VMware

more VPs than a bank

Current Employee - Group Product Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Group Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

- great people, the smart ones are still here
- the vision is amazing, very few can make it as far as we have and even fewer have the focus we do on completing that vision

Cons

at the lower ranks, it's not clear the right people are getting promoted. With more and more people, it's just harder to get stuff done. More political boundaries and fewer end to end accountability.

There was a time when getting stuff done was what we held people accountable to. Now it's about "smart thinking" but the actual execution is almost an after-thought. Time to hold everyone (including GMs and VPs) accountable instead to the goals they set out to do.

1318 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Great, but could be better.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

* There are excellent opportunities to work closely with technical leaders, which is a uniquely educational experience.
    * At least within some groups, ideas live and die by their own merits (and not based on, for example, the seniority of the idea's champion).
    * At least some first and second line management is competent, providing feedback when asked not only during the semi-annual performance review process, but on a task-to-task or week-to-week granularity as well.
    * Great promotion potential for good engineers.
    * Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

* Leadership does not seem to be proactive about providing feedback.
    * Promotions don't always seem to make sense; the people who deserve promotions seem to get them, but so do some of the people who don't. Relatedly, management (at all levels) does not articulate the rationale for management.
    * Product management doesn't consistently communicate the reasoning behind decisions, making it hard to understand their point of view or to take initiative on issues that would be potentially cut-and-dry.
    * Inter-product relationships are still being developed; there isn't, yet, good sharing of information or resources.

* Replace the "360-degree" review system with something that actually works; employees should be able to both give and receive clear feedback about performance.
    * Buckle down (nicely); we're grown ups. When we make a mistake, tell us. When one of our co-workers makes a mistake, tell them. If it isn't clear when someone is doing something wrong, the problem won't go away.
    * Similarly, provide a simple way to provide feedback when we feel you've made a mistake. I understand that the ability to provide anonymous feedback has a variety of problems, but it's hard to feel comfortable providing critical feedback in a direct manner.

Stay for stability, Leave for promotions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

- Company making money through cash cow virtualization platform
    - Stock has been growing
    - Company riding cloud wave, vision set by CEO
    - Several new products are being introduced

Cons

- Poor quality of management
    - Nepotism (VPs/GMs hire their own friends)
    - Good people are leaving as they are being overlooked

- Promote good management talent from within
    - Hire new talent from top companies and schools
    - Please discourage nepotism

There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!