VMware

www.vmware.com
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Great, but could be better.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

* There are excellent opportunities to work closely with technical leaders, which is a uniquely educational experience.
* At least within some groups, ideas live and die by their own merits (and not based on, for example, the seniority of the idea's champion).
* At least some first and second line management is competent, providing feedback when asked not only during the semi-annual performance review process, but on a task-to-task or week-to-week granularity as well.
* Great promotion potential for good engineers.
* Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

* Leadership does not seem to be proactive about providing feedback.
* Promotions don't always seem to make sense; the people who deserve promotions seem to get them, but so do some of the people who don't. Relatedly, management (at all levels) does not articulate the rationale for management.
* Product management doesn't consistently communicate the reasoning behind decisions, making it hard to understand their point of view or to take initiative on issues that would be potentially cut-and-dry.
* Inter-product relationships are still being developed; there isn't, yet, good sharing of information or resources.

* Replace the "360-degree" review system with something that actually works; employees should be able to both give and receive clear feedback about performance.
* Buckle down (nicely); we're grown ups. When we make a mistake, tell us. When one of our co-workers makes a mistake, tell them. If it isn't clear when someone is doing something wrong, the problem won't go away.
* Similarly, provide a simple way to provide feedback when we feel you've made a mistake. I understand that the ability to provide anonymous feedback has a variety of problems, but it's hard to feel comfortable providing critical feedback in a direct manner.

1501 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Political, stressful environment top heavy with VPs who are totally out of touch.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Some very good people and some good teamwork. Nice gym. Modern green buildings. Interesting products to work on. Global sites function better than head office.

Cons

Upper level management scrambling to make an impression on superiors. Everyone "managing up" and trying to impress the boss. Customers and developing good software is lost in this process. HR at the low end of competence. Politics high in Palo Alto.

Focus on customers and getting great products out. Trying to get promoted and impressing your superiors at VMware will not help the company and eventually there will be problems. Retain your good talent. Treat employees like the intelligent people that they are.

So far so good...

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Cutting Edge Products
    Biggest Market Share - Virtulization/Cloud
    25000 Partners w97% of fortune 500 as customers
    Internal communication platforms are great for collaboration

Cons

Fast paced environment with a very entrepreneurial feel, which is good and bad. Travel policy is a lot less lenient than the consulting firm I came from.

Haven't been here long enough to tell but it seems like upper management leaves the micro managing to you and they worry about the macro. They are very interested in your professional growth and will let you know when you've done a good job.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware