VMware

www.vmware.com

Great, but could be better.

Member of Technical Staff II (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros* There are excellent opportunities to work closely with technical leaders, which is a uniquely educational experience.
* At least within some groups, ideas live and die by their own merits (and not based on, for example, the seniority of the idea's champion).
* At least some first and second line management is competent, providing feedback when asked not only during the semi-annual performance review process, but on a task-to-task or week-to-week granularity as well.
* Great promotion potential for good engineers.
* Salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons* Leadership does not seem to be proactive about providing feedback.
* Promotions don't always seem to make sense; the people who deserve promotions seem to get them, but so do some of the people who don't. Relatedly, management (at all levels) does not articulate the rationale for management.
* Product management doesn't consistently communicate the reasoning behind decisions, making it hard to understand their point of view or to take initiative on issues that would be potentially cut-and-dry.
* Inter-product relationships are still being developed; there isn't, yet, good sharing of information or resources.

Advice to Senior Management* Replace the "360-degree" review system with something that actually works; employees should be able to both give and receive clear feedback about performance.
* Buckle down (nicely); we're grown ups. When we make a mistake, tell us. When one of our co-workers makes a mistake, tell them. If it isn't clear when someone is doing something wrong, the problem won't go away.
* Similarly, provide a simple way to provide feedback when we feel you've made a mistake. I understand that the ability to provide anonymous feedback has a variety of problems, but it's hard to feel comfortable providing critical feedback in a direct manner.

Political, stressful environment top heavy with VPs who are totally out of touch.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros: Some very good people and some good teamwork. Nice gym. Modern green… Cons: Upper level management scrambling to make an impression on superiors. Everyone "managing up" and trying to impress the boss. Customers… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on customers and getting great products out. Trying to get promoted and impressing your superiors at VMware will not help… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

So far so good...

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at VMware

Pros: Cutting Edge Products Biggest Market Share - Virtulization/Cloud 25000 Partners w97% of… Cons: Fast paced environment with a very entrepreneurial feel, which is good and bad.… Advice to Senior Management: Haven't been here long enough to tell but it seems like upper management leaves the micro managing to you and they worry… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on VMware.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!