An innovative, Gummie Bear Lover's Heaven.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

VMware is still an extremely innovative environment, and they have an endless supply of Gummie Bears..

Cool things are happening all over the company to watch and be involved in. It's definitely been a bumpy ride, and the management turnover has certainly taken its toll, but - overall - a great experience to be a part of.

Great new products coming, strength of company as a whole seems solid, overall diversity of employees and culture.

The only thing constant is change. Each year at VMware seems to be so different than the previous year. I like change, and this is a great place to be if you are adaptable and open to new things. If you want to, you can learn something new often, from what I've experienced.

Cons

The billion-dollar start-up feel is gone, as we have morphed into the lean, green virtual machine. It stills feels like the roadmap for the company doesn't get translated to the trenches. Bits and pieces of information received don't help much to really feel like you are part of the evolution. After 3.5 years at VMware, I still have trouble actually figuring out what some groups are responsible for. The constant re-orgs and re-naming of workgroups doesn't help much. I realize it has to happen, but our intranet is horrible at helping employees decipher how the company is structured and what the various workgroups actually do (AND its built on crap MSFT software).

The location is very non-transit friendly, which I find really annoying. Why did we build that campus out in the middle of no where anyway? Smack dab in the middle between 280 and 101.....brilliant! 2 parking spots for every 3 employees.....double brilliant! The company needs to provide more telecommuting options to employees. Not everyone wants to live near Palo Alto, nor spend an hour or so DRIVING to work each way, or better yet 2 hours each way taking transit.

I, unfortunately, would have to agree with the general consensus on our middle-managers. You find you self all too-often thinking....."how did that person get their job?". Some Senior Management positions also seem to be filled with people who aren't qualified, or were qualified when they were hired but are totally inept at dealing with what VMware is growing into.

Morale is lagging. I think we all miss Diane (and I miss her sweater-sets), but let's give Paul a chance, folks. This guy is brilliant in his own right and we can't bring Diane back. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she'll do next. She was a pretty incredible force at VMware.

I look forward to a time in my career at VMware where I'm focused on pro-active initiatives, rather than being in a constant reactive state.

Take a good, hard look at any manager who has been with VMware for more than 2 years. Are they REALLY the right person for the job their in? A good portion of them aren't. Turnover stability and overall retention are key - the great employees won't deal with bad management. Although everyone is dispensable, make sure people aren't unhappy enough to look around for something else. Even though the market may be prohibitive - if you aren't happy, you aren't happy. Lots of grumbling going on lately

Our HR department seems to be basically non-existant except for the obligatory options for employees and occasional communications.

Every area of the company is important. Treat everyone equally - respect should transcend workgroup. That nice lady in facilities that takes heat from everyone all day as she provides our services is just as important as the brilliant engineer who developed the latest enchancement (it would be nice though, if he would buy some long pants and dark socks).

Other Reviews for VMware

Insider's first-hand view of VMware management and culture

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware

Pros

VMware provides an exciting, fast-paced, high-growth environment for its employees and is on the cutting edge of technology. The main campus is very nice (brand new) and located right in the ehart of Silicon valley (Stanford Research park in palo Alto). Also, VMware is a pretty a socially minded, environmentally conscious, progressive company. And of course the casual work attire is great!

Cons

Hours can be long especially at crunch time. Lots of volatility in this environment due to significant swings in the competitive landscape, economy, etc.

Focus more on developing talent and some of the "soft skills" of the workforce in addition to technical competencies.

VMware is a great place to work. No doubt about it.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

The passion and dedication shared by all the VMware employees make this company a great place to work. Everyone shares a similar work ethic, and the company is open to people expressing new ideas. The company is good at recognizing potential and promotes that potential. This makes Vmware a great place for new and upcoming professionals hoping to jumpstart their career.

Cons

Sometimes, people make a mess in the kitchen. That gets kind of annoying. Other than that, I can not really think of much that's bad about working at VMware.

I would recommend senior management make more effort at expanding their leadership development program. There is a lot of potential currently being wasted because of a lack of a more structured leadership training program.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!