VMware

www.vmware.com
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Investment needed on the business side. Engineering: keep up the good work.

Current Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

The best reasons to work at VMware is strong engineering culture, amazing products, and the chance to change the way computing happens. It really is amazing software.

Cons

There are some very broken processes and standard things that make you say "Really? How big is this company?" when you see them.

Let's focus on bringing the business up to speed with the software. The technology is great, but if the market doesn't understand it, can't adopt it, and the business can't take it to market well, things will be rough. The world is littered with companies that had great technology that ultimately was beaten by "good enough" solutions that were easier to understand and deploy.

1455 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Let's look inside VMware

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Peers. Never have I found a more competent group of individual contributors than at VMware. This is especially true of old-timers. Management doesn't get in the way of people who want to contribute and make an impact. The transition from a small start-up style technology environment to a larger corporate company has not been easy for VMware. Employees and lower management bore most of this brunt. This journey has been exciting nonetheless. VMware is one of the few places where you can make a tangible impact to systems computing if you are determined to do so. There is seldom a dull moment here.

Cons

Upper management doesn't understand the needs of it's employees.Benefits provided to employees don't really do what they are supposed to. It almost seems as though some benefits were provided to check a box. Reckless spending and hiring by mid-level management has been having a pretty steady impact on the ability of the engineering and management team. One can't help but think that some incompetence has crept in.
    Further, the challenges in technology are not clear to those who don't work on it. Still, these folks sometimes make technology decisions. Though the company has a very bright future, the stock has taken a huge dip. It's unfortunate that upper management hasn't put in the effort to correct misconceptions on Wall Street about the technology or the company.

Promote from within. There are too new hires in senior management, who don't really understand the challenges that the company and the technology face. It's unfortunate that they are entrusted to guide the company through these especially hard times. Look for people who are determined and want to contribute to the betterment of the company. Unfortunately, one can't help but think that some of the senior management are looking out for themselves and don't put the company or other people first.

Growing up fast

Current Employee - Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

The innovation that this place delivers can't be matched anywhere in the world right now. We're rapidly creating a new industry, with new problems and opportunities, partnerships, and customers. That creates a level of dynamism that you won't see in existing product spaces (e.g. social networking, enterprise software, etc.). Think of this, VMware is building a new OS....and people are using it. Linux, Apple and others have tried but haven't gotten nearly as far. Combine that with some excellent benefits (401K match was great until it was suspended) and ESPP and it's generally worth the effort to stick around. If making cool, new technology that people will pay for is your thing, there's no place I'd rather be.

Cons

Its a startup with all the problems of a company that grew up too fast. I've seen this story before (as we all have lived through it, I'm sure). It gets big, communication breaks down between groups, there's no formal process for say product planning or structured sharing between big teams (like engineering and product management). Of course we have wikis but we also have sharepoint and a host of other mechanisms.

And as you grow big 2 things happen:
    - you attract less than spectacular talent (people are mediocre otherwise there wouldn't be an average)
    - the smart people get annoyed when stupid people or anyone the don't know, gets in their way == Politics!

You expect it and when you're small you can handle it because everyone is focused on their goal. When you get big, everyone wants to go home on time and stop working insane hours, especially when you have less and less personal vest that makes up a significant part of the company (my options will not be affected by my work, likely it will be affected by the most mediocre person's work).

Remember what you hated or liked about your manager when you were a peon? Well, if you don't here's a list:

Likes - Give ma direction and get out of my way, remove the roadblocks from my path -- don't create new ones, highlight my work when I do something great and make sure I know about it, never talk down to me or belittle me in front of people -- i will take it personally and develop a deep hatred for you.

Dislikes - don't micromanage - it's not professional at this level or any level, don't send me frantic emails at night and expect a response - you should respect my work/life balance and I'll like you better, If I'm not enthusiastic about something don't give me more of it -- that's a surefire way to make me want to leave you, hand out praise like the TARP - give it away willy-nilly -- it's free for you and nice for me.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware