Vmware Review

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

Company has innovative technology with a tenancity to win. Most everyone we meet wants to hear about the technology and how they can deploy it. It's fun to represent the company with it's amazing growth.

Cons

Tons of movement within the company means that it's difficult to know who is who since it's so dynamic.

Advice to Management

The support renewal process is broken and needs to be fixed. Easily 75% of the complaints I field are focused on renewals. With such a visible process it should be fixed.

Other Employee Reviews for VMware

An innovative, Gummie Bear Lover's Heaven.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

VMware is still an extremely innovative environment, and they have an endless supply of Gummie Bears.. Cool things are happening all over the company to watch and be involved in. It's definitely been a bumpy ride, and the management turnover has certainly taken its toll, but - overall - a great experience to be a part of. Great new products coming, strength of company as a whole seems solid, overall diversity of employees and culture. The only thing constant is change. Each year at VMware seems to be so different than the previous year. I like change, and this is a great place to be if you are adaptable and open to new things. If you want to, you can learn something new often, from what I've experienced.

Cons

The billion-dollar start-up feel is gone, as we have morphed into the lean, green virtual machine. It stills feels like the roadmap for the company doesn't get translated to the trenches. Bits and pieces of information received don't help much to really feel like you are part of the evolution. After 3.5 years at VMware, I still have trouble actually figuring out what some groups are responsible for. The constant re-orgs and re-naming of workgroups doesn't help much. I realize it has to happen, but our intranet is horrible at helping employees decipher how the company is structured and what the various workgroups actually do (AND its built on crap MSFT software). The location is very non-transit friendly, which I find really annoying. Why did we build that campus out in the middle of no where anyway? Smack dab in the middle between 280 and 101.....brilliant! 2 parking spots for every 3 employees.....double brilliant! The company needs to provide more telecommuting options to employees. Not everyone wants to live near Palo Alto, nor spend an hour or so DRIVING to work each way, or better yet 2 hours each way taking transit. I, unfortunately, would have to agree with the general consensus on our middle-managers. You find you self all too-often thinking....."how did that person get their job?". Some Senior Management positions also seem to be filled with people who aren't qualified, or were qualified when they were hired but are totally inept at dealing with what VMware is growing into. Morale is lagging. I think we all miss Diane (and I miss her sweater-sets), but let's give Paul a chance, folks. This guy is brilliant in his own right and we can't bring Diane back. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she'll do next. She was a pretty incredible force at VMware. I look forward to a time in my career at VMware where I'm focused on pro-active initiatives, rather than being in a constant reactive state.

Advice to Management

Take a good, hard look at any manager who has been with VMware for more than 2 years. Are they REALLY the right person for the job their in? A good portion of them aren't. Turnover stability and overall retention are key - the great employees won't deal with bad management. Although everyone is dispensable, make sure people aren't unhappy enough to look around for something else. Even though the market may be prohibitive - if you aren't happy, you aren't happy. Lots of grumbling going on lately Our HR department seems to be basically non-existant except for the obligatory options for employees and occasional communications. Every area of the company is important. Treat everyone equally - respect should transcend workgroup. That nice lady in facilities that takes heat from everyone all day as she provides our services is just as important as the brilliant engineer who developed the latest enchancement (it would be nice though, if he would buy some long pants and dark socks).

2. Time to operate like a real company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Technology produced by this company is cutting edge and impressive

Cons

Unqualified people working on critical projects without prior experience or credentials. Too many amateurs "trying". Other departments do not share the same enthusiasm and dedication compared to Engineering. Too many 9-to-5 employees who do not have the heart for their position.

Advice to Management

Slash out unnecessary and redundant layers in middle management to save money and sanity among employees who do matter.