There are newer employer reviews for VMware

I my experience has been bitter sweet; I work with awesome people, but the culture is slowly dying.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Broomfield, CO
Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people are by far the kindest and most competent people I have ever worked with. - The training is awesome. - Free snacks and meals. - Tuition reimbursement. - Looks good on a resume.

Cons

- The pay is not industry standard. - The culture is dying and nobody that can do something about it will. - The work load is immense. - Staffing feels like we are always 20-30 people short. - Management is starting to get "Micro Micromanagey" - No career path. - No set salary ranges. Someone with little/no skills can start work today as a TSE Level 1 and be making more than someone that has been there for 3-5 years and is a Level 3.

Advice to Management

Please, and I do mean this deeply, start paying our more seasoned, more skilled people to appropriate industry standards. I have seen too much talent walk out of the door for no good reason. And maybe you are training people and setting them free, but just realize that as the people leave...so will the culture...and so will the reasons many of us still stay and in the end you will be left with mediocre service and that's where you generate 55% of the companies revenue.

Other Employee Reviews for VMware

Positive experience, promotion takes a long time

Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

wicked smart engineers who still largely drive the culture cool technology that continues to change the world

Cons

promotions take a long time rest of business is growing around the R&D community and risks diluting very engineering centric culture

Advice to Management

guard the culture

The agony and the extasy

Current Employee - Vice President in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vision for dominating the next generation of data centers through virtualization + automation = cloud computing.

Cons

Often inconsistent execution as individual teams pursue their short term strategies at the cost of the overall corporate vision.

Advice to Management

The shift from vision-driven CEO Paul Maritz to execution-driven CEO Pat Gelsinger is a great opportunity for the company to transform its vision to real market leadership