VMware

www.vmware.com
  www.vmware.com
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Good company in the midst of a painful reorganization.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

VMWare can be an excellent plance to work: there are many excellent people to work with, the products are exciting, the campus is beautiful, and for many jobs telecommuniting is possible (indeed, required) since the workforce is spread across the globe. Depending upon one's immediate supervisor, one's time requirements can be very flexible. Some people telecommute every day, others come to the office every day, and others negotiate other arrangements, i.e. coming in to the office one or more days a week or as required to attend specific meetings.

VMWare is going through a major top-down reorganization which should result in a more efficiently run and successful company.

Cons

Unfortunately, because of the reorganization, which is still in progress, chaos often reigns.

Please complete the reorganization and professionalization of the management team so that we can get back to work.

1411 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, getting better with some changes.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Benefits package, work/life balance, bleeding-edge technology, snacks/drinks, onsite gym (HQ only), dental.

The benefits package is excellent and comprehensive. Management from top-down stresses a work-life balance, and strives to maintain it. As a leading software company, we have access to the absolute latest hardware and software provided by our partners. Free snacks/drinks in the cafeterias. At HQ, there is an onsite gym, and there's dental.

Cons

The current restructuring is leaving many confused and concerned about the future. This needs to be accelerated beyond normal bounds to ensure the company is successful. Communicating between departments has always seemed to be a weak point. This needs to get resolved. In addition, support from departments within the company need to be second-nature. We shouldn't have to beg for support from another department to get it.

Get the restructuring done, get the company working together as a team, and we can do some fantastic work. I've been with the company for some time, and change as been the M.O. for VMware. We're getting closer to being a mature company.

VMWare brings back the dark ages... Indentured servitude, cronyism, draconian management

Former Employee - Senior IT Administrator in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Administrator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware

Pros

You will appreciate the good firms you work at after being at VMWare - the campus and cafeteria are outstanding in design and layout since completed in 2008.

Cons

The worst work environment you can imagine, you will experience every possible error a company can make in business and personnel management. When the Indian employees complain about the work hours then you know it's bad! There is such a revolving door at VMWare that we used to joke about having a shuttle pull up twice a day to pick the employees exiting and dropping off the new hires.

Sell the company to someone that can run it in a professional, responsible manner. It sounds like a cliche but you really need to have some minimal concern for you employees or at least make some effort to fake it. It is astonishing how flagrant the management is about furthering their careers at the expense of those around them.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware