A bit disorganized

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Palo Alto, CA
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, loved my team, nice location, surrounded by trees, lunch on site, espresso machines

Cons

Schedule not communicated or well thought-out, somewhat reactive. A bit too much bureaucracy to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time. Also, VMware monitors web usage with a tool that slows down work. It requires you to log in to access sites it doesn't recognize, which is almost anything. It was faster to access information online (our product is web-based) over wi-fi than to use the network, so i would unplug the network to do general work and then have to plug in to print something. Pretty ridiculous, besides making people feel like they're kindergarteners needing supervision.

Advice to Management

Improve your network and get rid of the web usage monitoring system. Also, ensure teams have the same goals so they aren't working against each other. When temporary resources are pulled from engineering to work on a project, they aren't as committed as those permanently on the project, which makes it very hard (expensive) to accomplish anything.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Very competitive environment

Current Employee - Programmer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning in several departments
    Leading edge from a product perspective
    Innovative

Cons

Work life balance
    Churn in upper management

I my experience has been bitter sweet; I work with awesome people, but the culture is slowly dying.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The people are by far the kindest and most competent people I have ever worked with.
    - The training is awesome.
    - Free snacks and meals.
    - Tuition reimbursement.
    - Looks good on a resume.

Cons

- The pay is not industry standard.
    - The culture is dying and nobody that can do something about it will.
    - The work load is immense.
    - Staffing feels like we are always 20-30 people short.
    - Management is starting to get "Micro Micromanagey"
    - No career path.
    - No set salary ranges. Someone with little/no skills can start work today as a TSE Level 1 and be making more than someone that has been there for 3-5 years and is a Level 3.

Advice to Management

Please, and I do mean this deeply, start paying our more seasoned, more skilled people to appropriate industry standards. I have seen too much talent walk out of the door for no good reason. And maybe you are training people and setting them free, but just realize that as the people leave...so will the culture...and so will the reasons many of us still stay and in the end you will be left with mediocre service and that's where you generate 55% of the companies revenue.