VMware
3.4 of 5 1,237 reviews
www.vmware.com Palo Alto, CA 5000+ Employees

A bit disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

ProsNice people, loved my team, nice location, surrounded by trees, lunch on site, espresso machines

ConsSchedule not communicated or well thought-out, somewhat reactive. A bit too much bureaucracy to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time. Also, VMware monitors web usage with a tool that slows down work. It requires you to log in to access sites it doesn't recognize, which is almost anything. It was faster to access information online (our product is web-based) over wi-fi than to use the network, so i would unplug the network to do general work and then have to plug in to print something. Pretty ridiculous, besides making people feel like they're kindergarteners needing supervision.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your network and get rid of the web usage monitoring system. Also, ensure teams have the same goals so they aren't working against each other. When temporary resources are pulled from engineering to work on a project, they aren't as committed as those permanently on the project, which makes it very hard (expensive) to accomplish anything.

Very competitive environment

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great learning in several departments Leading edge from a product perspective Innovative Cons: Work life balance Churn in upper management More

I my experience has been bitter sweet; I work with awesome people, but the culture is slowly dying.

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Broomfield, CO

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: - The people are by far the kindest and most competent people I have ever… Cons: - The pay is not industry standard. - The culture is dying and nobody that can do something about it will. - The work load is immense. -… Advice to Senior Management: Please, and I do mean this deeply, start paying our more seasoned, more skilled people to appropriate industry standards. I have seen too much talent… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on VMware.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger. All reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees.