VMware

There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Internal IT - Contractor Status be warned

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Austin, TX

I worked at VMware as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Snacks, nice views. Free lunch sometimes, beer, and wings on Friday. Free VMware Certification. If the hourly rate offered will pay for benefits comfortably, I would take it. The people they have hired seem to be smart and professional across the board. Not many unpleasant folks.

Cons

Internal IT is abyssmal, and disorganized in this office. Upper management has understaffed this segment by 2 people according to ITIL standards. They opened another building without expanding IT support staff. There is no onsite management for IT, it all resides in Palo Alto. Management is unresponsive to requests, constantly point the finger at other groups and let issues fester without working together across groups. I found myself working 15 of the 31 weekends that I spent working there because of the rapid expansion of all segments but ours. Although my metrics exceeded all internal support staff, they couldn't justify paying me for health benefits. I may have stayed if I had benefits as it is a great IT company but ultimately they are looking to save cost on this position. Many, many, internal broken processes that made doing your job a real struggle at every turn with no one taking responsibility in upper management for anything except pointing the finger in a circle. Pretty disappointed in IT for a company that has such great technical people to support the software they sell. Internal IT operates like it is 2005. Getting big, too fast. Lot's of growing pains right now.

Staff this office for internal IT. Invest in good employees, especially those who innovate. Listen to remote offices and communicate back. Have local management when your organization expands this fast remotely. You can't do it all virtually :) There are 700 people here and no internal infrastructure as there is in Palo Alto. You have 1 person in a building of 600, it is insane and unfair to operate this way.

1397 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Worst IT shop anywhere

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus, stock is stable, products are well known

Cons

Very poor (across the board) IT senior management team. The most political environment anywhere. Long hours are the norm. It's a sweatshop. Everything is an emergency, complete lack of planning and structure. IT culture is poor, everyone is afraid to speak up. Without a doubt, staff would leave if not for RSUs. Would rank at less than one star if the option was there.

Stabilize the IT environment. Hire a real CIO and support him/her. It's too much of a revolving door. A lot of good people have been fired for purely political reasons.

Member of Technical Staff

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work and technology. With SDN, Nicira, cloud suite, there is lot of things to learn.

Cons

Need better process to continue the success.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware