VMware

www.vmware.com
  www.vmware.com
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Competitive atmosphere, you'll go as far as your skills and ambition will allow. No free rides or automatic promotions.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Stock options are not overly generous, but the company is public and they do tend to pay off, mostly. Products sell themselves. Collegial atmosphere. Freedom to experiment, make mistakes. I've seen talented people go from individual contributor to Senior director and even VP. You may hire in at a particular level, but promotions are not automatic or guaranteed. This leads to quality in management.

Cons

Career paths not clearly defined. Due to lack of automatic promotion, career paths have been put on paper, but no one is guaranteed anything. If you are not interested in being a shareholder, there are other places you should probably look for a job. Few frills. Fluid management structure. Since the company is public, it is possible that a particular persons stock options will not be immediately valuable due to market fluctuations.
Management is frugal in spending, so don't expect lots of trips to Europe in first class at top rated hotels for junkets.

Listen to Diane.

1411 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

I am having a great time at VMware

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

The products are great, cutting edge and in the right place at the right time.

Cons

Not much structure or process. If you thrive in creating order and structure out of a bit of chaos (at times) - then this is the place to be

Continue with what you are doing and focus on changing the paradigm that we are a start up. We are well past that.

VMware is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior R&D Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

VMware recruits and hires top talent, so you're surrounded by good people doing good work. Everybody seems to be very passionate about their work. The management team is very strong, so I feel confident in their ability to keep up the incredible success that VMware has had to date. VMware's meteoric rise makes it an exciting place to work with ample opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The main downside currently are the growing pains from doubling in headcount every year. Some of the reasons that made VMware a great place to work years ago are becoming diluted and/or fundamentally changed.

As VMware continues to grow, it is critical that we address the difficulties caused by scaling up. In a company where 40% of the people have worked there for less than a year, it is too easy for the overall nature of the company to change in a negative direction.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware