VMware

www.vmware.com
  www.vmware.com
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Good place to work, especially if you live in the Bay area.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Excellent technology, great culture. Management is great at letting you have a family life and other priorities. Because they are such a virtual culture, commutes are non-existent and face time in the office doesn't matter.

Cons

They still think they are a startup, and so there are a lot of back end systems and processes that are broken or constantly changing. Also, they focus on their engineers and employees in Palo Alto at headquarters, not so much on field based employees.

Vision and direction are very important, and not just from Diane. There are few communications regarding employee vision from other members of the management team, at least not out here in the field.

1416 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Strong engineering staff, very flexible with work and life balance but fast grow has its consequences.

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Deep technical engineering staff, still has small feel but nice to have the punch and $ of a big company. Very easy to get required resources for projects; servers, storage, etc. Very fair with compensation and one gets the feeling the core founders (Diane, Mendel, etc) really care about people working in a good and healthy environment.

Cons

The build system is horrendous, but is getting better though it still has a way to go. To elaborate more, from my experience this is something all fast growing companies face so it is not unique to VMware. It is a direct consequence of meteoric head count growth in the engineering staff.

Relax, take a breath, and stop stressing over the little things.

VMware is a great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Great technology - virtualization benefits anyone who uses a computer which is pretty much everyone in the world. Virtualization is all about reducing cost and energy and who wouldn't want that!
    Great culture - we work hard and we play hard. It's always tough balancing your work and life but if you have the support from management and they respect that you do have a life outside of work, then it just makes a bit easier to juggle both.
    Smart people - I've met some of the smartest people here at VMware and being around such smart people makes your job so much easier!

Cons

Company is growing at a very fast pace and the necessary support infrastructure is still in the catch up phase.

Give more insight/direction on how our day to day job maps to the overall goals and objectives of the company

There are newer employer reviews for VMware