VMware
3.4 of 5 1,152 reviews
www.vmware.com Palo Alto, CA 5000+ Employees

Incredible technologies, brilliant people, and some growing pains

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

ProsESX and and the tools to manage it and leverage it (vSphere, View, etc.) are still some of the most incredible pieces of software that I've had the pleasure of working on. Extremely complex and extremely fascinating.

The internal tools at VMware are well maintained and are a huge asset to employee productivity and testing (internal cloud, etc).

Thousands of very bright engineers.

The internship program is large and very interactive; there are lots of intern-only events, a few intern-manager/mentor events, coding competitions, etc.

ConsLots of bandaids on top of an aging code base, where a re-design would be appropriate.

Way too many features planned for any particular release, which stretches engineering (and testing) thin and leads to bugs too late in the development cycle.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan better, and stick to release milestones. Better to deliver a few solid features than dozens of not-quite-ready features.

Lots of action but not must strategy.

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros: Fast paced environment. You'll never be bored. Cons: Chaotic. Lack of collaboration. Hard to do your… Advice to Senior Management: Slow down to speed up. Be more thoughtful around direction in advance. … Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Smart folks, confused direction

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Super smart people. Generally helpful, good work life balance, beautiful campus (Palo Alto). Despite the rapid growth, there is still a good degree of autonomy… Cons: Rapid growth has lead to general confusion. Not sure they really know what… Advice to Senior Management: Simplify - focus - you can't be all things to all people. The false starts across multiple areas (slide rocket for instance, application platform for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on VMware.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger. All reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees.