There are newer employer reviews for VMware

VMware is a great place to be!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

I love working for a company that's in the leading edge of its industry. In the face of increasing competition, it continues to innovate and expand its product offerings. I like the fact that our corporate strategy is communicated to everyone within the organization. Everyone that I've met so far has been extremely talented and helpful.

Cons

As with any company that have experienced rapid growth, VMware has some growing pains. Some of the internal processes and operations need to be improved in order to keep up with the rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive innovation and improve the product & service portfolio.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A great place to work if you don't need too much structure...

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Working at VMware, you get to make fantastic products and work with lots of smart, competent, helpful, and fun people. I've had lots of opportunities to expand my skills, and I think that VMware will be a good place for my career growth for quite some time to come.

Cons

There's a lack of process and structure in a lot of areas. We've grown very rapidly, and a lot of practices that worked well when we had fewer people don't work as well now. Be prepared for uncertainty and last minute changes on any project you work on. Also be prepared for some last minute scrambles to meet deadlines.

Since our IPO, there's been a certain amount of focus on cost-cutting and other measures to keep our stock price up, which could become troubling if carried too far.

Advice to Management

Don't do silly things just to keep the stock price up.

2. Overall VMware is a great place to work for.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware

Pros

The company is in a great place to grow exponentionally. The work environment is great, people are great, and everyone truly has passion to improve VMware.

Cons

The company is growing fast and the company is feeling the growing pains. The great close knit feel of the company is dying. New management is being hired from large companies like Cisco and Oracle and management is trying to push its big company burucratic processes on VMware employees.

Advice to Management

I believe the company should start promoting from within and not necessarily look to hire high profile individuals from this large tech companies, else they are going to kill that great VMware vibe that has made the company successful.