VMware

There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Great experience as an MBA Intern

Current Employee - MBA Intern in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - MBA Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Extremely smart people with impressive backgrounds throughout the company. People are willing to help and talk about their own experiences if you're proactive to schedule some time with them. I only have Finance perspective, but I never got the feeling that you would be "tied down" to a specific group or team, and rotations to other groups were encouraged.

Cons

With so much recent growth, there isn't much standardization between groups and it felt like there is a lot of catch up work to meet the growth.

1452 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

the future is uncertain, try again

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

while not what it once was it is still an OK place to work. I don't hate coming to work, but I don't love it as I once did. I love the campus and the work is fun and exciting.

Work life balance is still good.

Cons

Pat lacks the vision needed to drive the company forward. He may be good at focusing the companies efforts but what is he focusing them on? This company needs some one with both vision and the ability to focus our efforts. Who cars about focusing efforts if it is in the wrong direction. All of the people that made VMware grate have gone and now there is no one with any history or vision, its great to bring in new people but it was dumb to let all of the key people get away. The company is now run by people that have no clue.

Ned to do better cross BU communication, cut out the kingdom building BS

Get rid of Pat and make Carl Eschenbach CEO. Even though Carl is a sales guy I think he has a clue of What VMware needs. VMware is not Intel or EMC, we where in better hands with the oracle or microsoft crew at least they understood software.

Promote people based on performance not based on cost. this is not high school stop this grading on a curve.

Declining Innovation and Increasing Turnover

Current Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits & Compensation on par with area; Work/Life balance has continued to improve as company matures; Dedication to giving back to the community provides lots of opportunities for employee participation.

Cons

The company no longer has the leadership required to innovate and stay ahead of the market. No career path beyond the role you are hired for. Feels like it's on a path similar to Sun Microsystems post 2001.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware