VMware
3.4 of 5 1,154 reviews
www.vmware.com Palo Alto, CA 5000+ Employees

Company is growing up operationally

Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary, good opps for new positions, strong position in its market place, generally a high level of competence and energy among coworkers. That is, better players make you want to play a better game.

ConsPalo Alto campus construction is a disasater - campus teams are separated - although this should play out. Offices are over crowded. Quirky infrastructure is leftover from the bizarre (Zimbra, SlideRocket, etc) acquisition run. Oddly the company lives in a 1990s conference call mentality, many people consider webex hard to use.

Unlimited vacation is financial BS that looks good for the CFO and Wall Street, but removes a key benefit. We used to accrue something, now the questions are "didn't you just take a vacation last quarter"

Advice to Senior ManagementDramatically increase global employee behaviour (there are many smart people in locales other than Palo Alto). Push use of online collaboration (make webex, or similar, the default meeting). Make the network easier to access - using VPN from inside campus buildings causes people to not engage - put up a wall between my neighbor and I stop climbing the ladder to look over.

Bring more energy to company meetings. They are dull as dirt. College interns get more focus than future direction.

Don't work here

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for less than a year

Pros: They pay higher then market rate. Cons: The reason they pay higher then market rate, is because this is not a good place to work. The amount of politics at this job is… Advice to Senior Management: Bring in professional managers and train them in the art… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place to work on system

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: A lot of fun in work. People are very nice… Cons: Too big to make a great influence. More

There are newer reviews on VMware.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger. All reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees.