There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Ok. Not a bad place to be

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open communication, awesome products, good business

Cons

:/, a few people are more powerful than others.

Other Employee Reviews for VMware

Dysfunctional, toxic, and delusional.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay Good benefits Nice gyms Nice cafeterias Looks good on your résumé

Cons

Don't be fooled by the pretty buildings and internal branding - I ignored the negative reviews while I was interviewing because I didn't think the HR department would be like that. I was wrong. There are some excellent employees with great ideas all over the company but they soon get the spirit ground out of them. And as the market dictates, it's the good employees who can - and do - leave. Decisions are overturned on a whim with the decision makers claiming no memory of making them (which is an indescribably confusing experience when you have the approval in writing or were present for it verbally. Because of this you are forced to defend yourself for literally doing your job. Communication is not just poor it's frowned upon, there is not an open door policy and you may not speak to whoever you need to. Bullies abound and it's the epitome of a toxic workplace. It's proudly claimed that VMware is a 15 year old start up but what that really means is there are leaders and employees left who haven't scaled to fit the reality of a 14,000 employee company, and thinking you don't need to scale is delusional. I'm very disappointed with this company, it could be a fantastic place to work but it chooses to ignore the elephant(s) in the room.

Advice to Management

Hire external consultants to deal with the toxic employees throughout the organization. Your turnover numbers will decrease and productivity will increase.

Company is growing up operationally

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary, good opps for new positions, strong position in its market place, generally a high level of competence and energy among coworkers. That is, better players make you want to play a better game.

Cons

Palo Alto campus construction is a disasater - campus teams are separated - although this should play out. Offices are over crowded. Quirky infrastructure is leftover from the bizarre (Zimbra, SlideRocket, etc) acquisition run. Oddly the company lives in a 1990s conference call mentality, many people consider webex hard to use. Unlimited vacation is financial BS that looks good for the CFO and Wall Street, but removes a key benefit. We used to accrue something, now the questions are "didn't you just take a vacation last quarter"

Advice to Management

Dramatically increase global employee behaviour (there are many smart people in locales other than Palo Alto). Push use of online collaboration (make webex, or similar, the default meeting). Make the network easier to access - using VPN from inside campus buildings causes people to not engage - put up a wall between my neighbor and I stop climbing the ladder to look over. Bring more energy to company meetings. They are dull as dirt. College interns get more focus than future direction.