There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Virtually, anything is possible,

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of cool things to work on, from bit-fiddling in the hypervisor, to big data analysis and machine learning in the management software. Smart co-workers. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Enterprise software company, long product release cycles. Especially in the bottom layers of the stack, it's hard to turn things around.

1361 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Ok. Not a bad place to be

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open communication, awesome products, good business

Cons

:/, a few people are more powerful than others.

Dysfunctional, toxic, and delusional.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay
    Good benefits
    Nice gyms
    Nice cafeterias
    Looks good on your résumé

Cons

Don't be fooled by the pretty buildings and internal branding - I ignored the negative reviews while I was interviewing because I didn't think the HR department would be like that. I was wrong. There are some excellent employees with great ideas all over the company but they soon get the spirit ground out of them. And as the market dictates, it's the good employees who can - and do - leave. Decisions are overturned on a whim with the decision makers claiming no memory of making them (which is an indescribably confusing experience when you have the approval in writing or were present for it verbally. Because of this you are forced to defend yourself for literally doing your job. Communication is not just poor it's frowned upon, there is not an open door policy and you may not speak to whoever you need to. Bullies abound and it's the epitome of a toxic workplace. It's proudly claimed that VMware is a 15 year old start up but what that really means is there are leaders and employees left who haven't scaled to fit the reality of a 14,000 employee company, and thinking you don't need to scale is delusional. I'm very disappointed with this company, it could be a fantastic place to work but it chooses to ignore the elephant(s) in the room.

Hire external consultants to deal with the toxic employees throughout the organization. Your turnover numbers will decrease and productivity will increase.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware