VMware

www.vmware.com
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

My favorite company in 12 years of consulting-- delighted to have joined full time.

Current Employee - Senior Manager Change Management in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Senior Manager Change Management in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome people. Great collaboration with a minimal amount of bureaucracy. You can really dive in, roll up your sleeves and get things done quickly. I feel like I can be about 3X more productive at VMware than other places because theres' less politics. Having worked at a wide variety (15 or so) companies outside of Silicon Valley, I find that I LOVE working in high tech at VMware. I feel like I'm getting smarter and learning from my colleagues every day, rather than getting stuck in a morass of politics and 'wait and see' like at many other places.

I like the company's admirable green practices and charitable program (5 days of paid volunteer work annually, very good and flexible match program, etc.).

The campus is beautiful (larger than disneyland, riddled with fountains and orchards, buildings are designed by some famous green architect and they are kind of hyrbrid indoor/outdoor), there are multiple delicious cafeterias and coffee shops around campus, good free snacks program if you're based in Palo Alto, restaurant-grade espresso machines in every breakroom so I'm fueled up on about 2-3 lattes a day, etc.

The head people person in our roll-on iday said it well when she said that VMware works hard to keep the 'heart of a startup'. As a 4.5 billion $$ company, of course it's a lot bigger than a start up, but I think there's a really good opportunity to build tools, structure and process to enable the next stage of growth from 4 B - 8 B and I'm psyched to be a part of it.

These impressions are based on having been a consultant at VMware for 18 months and now a full time employee for 3 weeks.

Cons

As with many exciting, high energy jobs, you need to manage your work life balance and there can be tough times. So far, VMware has been great in this regard, but I think that's always a watchpoint when you're in a high adrenaline, high performing place.

The other challenge is that VMware can be chaotic, so you need to have a good ability to navigate and figure things out on your own and teach yourself how to fish. We are in the middle of streamlining and simplifying our strategy and internal tools and processes, but things can still be pretty casual and not necessarily that well defined.

Keep intact the critical things that make VMware great (Heart of a startup, awesome groundbreaking products, smart people, casual & can do environment, freedom to crank out work without a ton of bureaucracy getting in the way).

At the same time, continue the work you are doing to streamline and simplify our tools, systems, and strategy. Given 13 years as the worlds fastest growing software company, there are redundant tools, systems, and information. Getting that consolidated onto a common, simple enterprise set of tools, processes and capabilities without alienating customers, partners, or employees seems critical to enable the next phase of growth.

1452 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Fantastic company to work at

Current Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and everyone wants to hear your ideas

Cons

Too many meetings, just let us get the work done

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great technology, Many new opportunities within the company. There are some very good things happening at VMware today!

Cons

Very high speed environment, poor work-life balance

There are newer employer reviews for VMware