There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Good to be there, good to leave.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of great people who really want to do a good job. They take good care of you and the environment is very pretty. It was a great place to learn an area of tech that was new and groundbreaking.

Cons

Miserably unable to assess talent and promote from within. Very political, lots of maneuvering. Way too many meetings. Not set up for virtual teams and the location makes it difficult for many to get there (worldwide as well as in the Bay Area). Still a bit self-important and riding on coattails of past success.

Company needs to genuinely manage down instead of massive manage up focus. Also, what's up with the lack of women in management, sr. mgmt. and on the board?

1333 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Some smart engineers, lacking product leadership and new talent

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

Great pay, ok perks (needs a shuttle)
    Nice campus
    Good work-life balance, 9-5
    Casual

Cons

No shuttle
    Very very corporate vibe
    Brain drain
    Not attracting talent - not competing outside of salary
    An engineering company led by a salesperson never ends well
    Promotions are based on time served, though not officially
    Sloppy work ships (Web Client). Bad QA? Bad Eng? Bad PMs? All bad?

Incentivize teams to focus on product excellence, not deadlines. Make decisions based on what customers want, not what's easier for us to ship by a deadline

Be an engineering company, not an enterprise company, that's the way to make people excited about working there again

My favorite company in 12 years of consulting-- delighted to have joined full time.

Current Employee - Senior Manager Change Management  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Change Management in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome people. Great collaboration with a minimal amount of bureaucracy. You can really dive in, roll up your sleeves and get things done quickly. I feel like I can be about 3X more productive at VMware than other places because theres' less politics. Having worked at a wide variety (15 or so) companies outside of Silicon Valley, I find that I LOVE working in high tech at VMware. I feel like I'm getting smarter and learning from my colleagues every day, rather than getting stuck in a morass of politics and 'wait and see' like at many other places.

I like the company's admirable green practices and charitable program (5 days of paid volunteer work annually, very good and flexible match program, etc.).

The campus is beautiful (larger than disneyland, riddled with fountains and orchards, buildings are designed by some famous green architect and they are kind of hyrbrid indoor/outdoor), there are multiple delicious cafeterias and coffee shops around campus, good free snacks program if you're based in Palo Alto, restaurant-grade espresso machines in every breakroom so I'm fueled up on about 2-3 lattes a day, etc.

The head people person in our roll-on iday said it well when she said that VMware works hard to keep the 'heart of a startup'. As a 4.5 billion $$ company, of course it's a lot bigger than a start up, but I think there's a really good opportunity to build tools, structure and process to enable the next stage of growth from 4 B - 8 B and I'm psyched to be a part of it.

These impressions are based on having been a consultant at VMware for 18 months and now a full time employee for 3 weeks.

Cons

As with many exciting, high energy jobs, you need to manage your work life balance and there can be tough times. So far, VMware has been great in this regard, but I think that's always a watchpoint when you're in a high adrenaline, high performing place.

The other challenge is that VMware can be chaotic, so you need to have a good ability to navigate and figure things out on your own and teach yourself how to fish. We are in the middle of streamlining and simplifying our strategy and internal tools and processes, but things can still be pretty casual and not necessarily that well defined.

Keep intact the critical things that make VMware great (Heart of a startup, awesome groundbreaking products, smart people, casual & can do environment, freedom to crank out work without a ton of bureaucracy getting in the way).

At the same time, continue the work you are doing to streamline and simplify our tools, systems, and strategy. Given 13 years as the worlds fastest growing software company, there are redundant tools, systems, and information. Getting that consolidated onto a common, simple enterprise set of tools, processes and capabilities without alienating customers, partners, or employees seems critical to enable the next phase of growth.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!