VMware
3.4 of 5 1,154 reviews
www.vmware.com Palo Alto, CA 5000+ Employees

Great past, stable present, questionable future

Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* Salary and benefits in the high percentile of the valley.
* Very flexible work hours and work from home policy. Work hard, but go home at 5pm.
* Can choose between PC & Mac (over 60% Mac). Also very flexible on extra hardware (large monitors, docking, desktops ted.).
* people are very caring for one another.

Cons* Parking is always challenging, even with the new parking area.
* Very slow promotion process, easier to get promoted by leaving. also very minimal pay increase year over year - 3-5%.
* Instead of being driven by customer needs, Market disruption or senior management, VMware is an engineering led company, and its direction is set by the engineers. this is great for short term delivery, but hurts the company's ability to compete and makes it play catch up.
* Company long term direction is unclear. it seems VMware like Microsoft has missed the SaaS and Public cloud revolution and is heavily dependent on legacy data center sales.
* Same as Microsoft, VMware has strong brand in enterprise IT with high prces, making it the less popular choice for openstack and AWS/Google/ public cloud users.
* Lots of process to deal with.
* Long delivery cycles making ir harder to impact the market.
* Decision making process is broken. lots of political compromises.

Advice to Senior Management* Define and articulate to employee and new hire VMware's long term strategy to remain relevant in the area of public cloud and SaaS
* Build an employee career plan that keeps existing employee close to the level of benefits they would receive if they just joined based on market condition and qualifications. if you won't do that, someone else will.
* Shorten product delivery cycles. we live in an agile world where quick iteration are as important as innovation.
* Create products driven by customer asks and what will disrupt the market rather than what engineering think is cool. cool is good, customer experience is better.

Chaotic & undisciplined

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Salary is great, environment is pretty Cons: Back-stabbing is unbelieveable. Mostly from the 'entrenched' employees (5+ years at the company). People literally go to your manager and complain… Advice to Senior Management: Set standards of professional behavior and hold people to them. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Very laid back and comfortable place to work.

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Burlington, MA

I have been working at VMware full-time for less than a year

Pros: Friendly co workers Lots of free food Amazing benefits Cons: So far I have not been able to find anything… Advice to Senior Management: Good job! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on VMware.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger. All reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees.