VMware

There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Great experience and environment

Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a leading technology company that is always innovating is a great motivator. Being an R&D Engineering recruiter allows me to see multiple different product teams across our business units and continually work on challenging positions. I get to compare our compensation information to other top tech firms in the Bay are know we are competitive. Culture is a big part of this and VMware's culture is EPICC (Execution, Passion, Integrity, Customers, Community) and from my experience the willingness to help others is a common trait. I have not run into many folks with over inflated egos. Work environment is good and we frequently have happy hour events where people from different teams get together.

Cons

I have been here for over 3 years now and there are little cons to discuss. We have challenges in many different areas like any company whether large, medium, or small. I can only speak to my experience though.

1415 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still work here as long as I did. I would just avoid any contact with HR.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Super smart people in all organizations. Really good products.

Great benefits.

Good training, but needs to scale to be as powerful as an organization of our current size.

Cons

If you don't work out of the Palo Alto campus, you won't get all the great perks like free concerts and beer bashes.

Too many upper management/executive hires in the past few years have turned this into EMC, which is detrimental innovation and independence.

If you have to work directly with HR, I have found that without exception, they are the most horrible, uncaring people on the planet. In hiring, onboarding, and other employment tasks, they have offered no value, hindering the process and making it a terrible experience for the employee and manager. I don't know how true that is for other large companies.

Beef up training, especially on the technical side. Too many people have to fight for too few hands-on classes, among others.

VMware was a great place to work!

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about VMware is the people. Low ego, down to Earth, smart people. People who have gotten over themselves and are interested in working together. Challenging problems - an infrastructure company like VMware is solving the problems of massively scalable services that much of computing/the web will be based on for years to come.

Cons

May not pay as much as competitors. Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge. Getting new ideas implemented takes some time.

Get rid of the fluff and BS bureaucracy. Keep it about the work and those who are getting done, as opposed to the people who look busy.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware