There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Great experience and environment

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at VMware as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at a leading technology company that is always innovating is a great motivator. Being an R&D Engineering recruiter allows me to see multiple different product teams across our business units and continually work on challenging positions. I get to compare our compensation information to other top tech firms in the Bay are know we are competitive. Culture is a big part of this and VMware's culture is EPICC (Execution, Passion, Integrity, Customers, Community) and from my experience the willingness to help others is a common trait. I have not run into many folks with over inflated egos. Work environment is good and we frequently have happy hour events where people from different teams get together.

Cons

I have been here for over 3 years now and there are little cons to discuss. We have challenges in many different areas like any company whether large, medium, or small. I can only speak to my experience though.

1323 Other Employee Reviews for VMware (View Most Recent)

Highly Politicized Environment but good benefits

Former Employee - Products  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Products in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits
    Good Salary
    ESPP and Stock option grants
    Fully stocked kitchen
    Really nice gym and campus

Cons

Very, very political environment. Everybody fights for dominance and plays mind games with employees and contractors. The only way to survive is to find a "Godfather" who will protect and nurture you.
    Best survival strategy is to say "yes" to everybody with little bit of power and "no" to everybody else.
    HR uses performance reviews and ratings as a weapon to use against you when the opportunity strikes. If you align yourself with the right people, you don't need to worry about it.

Too late to improve the culture. Best thing will be to look at the results and not "like-ability" of you mid to senior level management.
    Shut down failing businesses and fire those who consistently miss their targets.

Some great people, but mostly disorganized and poorly executed politicking

I worked at VMware as a contractor

Pros

There are some great people working for VMware, who want to do a good job

Cons

Excessive churn, confusion, rework, and disagreement on every Marketing project burns workers out. There are many toxic individuals who don't actually understand their job, and who make life miserable for those who work underneath them or must partner with them.

There are newer employer reviews for VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!