VSCO

www.vsco.co
  www.vsco.co
There are newer employer reviews for VSCO

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about VSCO (hands down!) was the people and overall environment. VSCO definitely has a "work hard, play hard" mentality, but even when we were working our hardest, it was always well appreciated and supported by the teams.

While the company is still very young, everyone was extremely supportive and encouraged my own professional growth, with the ability to try new things if I wanted. As a developer, there is a lot of room to try new approaches while building out features as well as give input about possible complications and improvements with current implementations/specs.

Cons

During my year stint at VSCO, we did have a couple (maybe 3-4) REALLY early launches where we had to be in the office as early as 4:30am, but those were few and far between. When I first started, I felt like my salary was a little below market rate, but after getting time to prove myself, I quickly met my expectations on what was a fair salary (if you do well, VSCO is great at rewarding!)

Encourage young leadership to develop a gut instinct and to work outside their comfort zone and from what they learned in school. Also, keep an eye out for when teams are straying too far outside the bounds of what's needed to finish product in a timely manner.

14 Other Employee Reviews for VSCO (View Most Recent)

Always moving forward

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a lot of mobility within the company and leadership encourages growth. Very family friendly. Progressive attitude towards development, process, and planning makes working here exciting and interesting.

Cons

High expectations for performance and ability. A great place if you're talented but complacency will get scrutinized. Product launches require that we come in very early in the morning, sometimes before 5 or 6 AM.

Keep tabs on quick growth so new employees don't feel marginalized.

Tightly-knit, focused, and flexible

I have been working at VSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part about VSCO is the team. The focus on hiring based upon technical ability and culture has greatly paid off. The environment is incredibly comfortable and is something I look forward to every day. This has somehow created a synergy of technical finesse and focused vision which is invaluable when the company is as multi-faceted and as quickly-growing as VSCO.

Another of my favorite aspects of VSCO is that management highly encourages feedback based upon direction of a product and greatly respects the perspective of the team members. They have strong opinions on most matters but are certainly not unchangeable.

Cons

I imagine VSCO wouldn't be the place for someone who is looking for a predictable, corporate culture. The lack of rigid structure could be frustrating to some but I see that as more of a pro than a con.

The work-life balance is unmatched. The flexible vacation schedule is real and it does not come at the cost of working 60+ hours per week. I think management has tackled this pretty thoroughly.

Compensation is based upon performance it seems. I have no idea what others' experiences have been but I personally started below the average salary (as I was somewhat unproven) but quickly rose above it. Perhaps knowing how compensation could change after starting would have been nice.

As of late, we have grown in unpredictable ways which has facilitated a shift in team structure. Based upon what I have seen, the people with more experience who truly should be leading end up getting promotions rather than a first-in, first-up approach.

There are newer employer reviews for VSCO