VSP Vision Care

www.vsp.com
There are newer employer reviews for VSP Vision Care

Great team, great benefits

I have been working at VSP Vision Care full-time

Pros

Great company, cares about employees, great benefits, great management

Cons

In satellite offices, it is hard to get promoted because there are less opportunities.

60 Other Employee Reviews for VSP Vision Care (View Most Recent)

Good job security but a bad place for anyone who is not white.

I have been working at VSP Vision Care

Pros

Overall, individual contributors are good people.

Cons

Poor in diversity. Senior management is 95% white and the company discriminates for the management positions by making sure they hire only whites for management positions.

Listen to the broader employees rather than just the people reporting to you. Be comfortable with folks from other races.

There is a competence inversion point, somewhere around middle management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at VSP Vision Care

Pros

Many of the things that you hear about working at VSP are true; it is (or was while I was there) a good place to be. The company spends a lot of time (possibly too much!) wondering about how employees are feeling about EVERYTHING and what the company can do to make them happy. Work-life balance was great; benefits were strong; and there are plenty of people to do the work. Lots of creative employee-centric features not seen at other companies outside of the Silicon Valley tech world. Company has great recruiting reach, so manages to hire mostly quality folks...just doesn't hold on to those who could become the future leaders very well.

I enjoyed rapid promotion during my first few years there, and reached the point of manager. Then things stalled out and I noticed a big difference between those superior to me, and those who reported to me. I would describe it thusly: You reach a point in your career path at VSP where you either are "in" or "out". "In" means you drink the Kool Aid and will be a yes-man (or woman) to your boss and chain of command. If you challenge the status quo too much, you will be branded "out" and then it is just a matter of time before you realize your career has stalled and you need to leave.

Cons

Very much the old boy network (using the term generically; VSP has many women in management and leadership which is great). The same people get promoted to higher and higher roles; many of them have never worked anywhere else other than VSP so having outside perspectives among senior leadership is difficult to impossible. Re-orgs are pretty common, but barely anyone ever gets let go in these processes. They just change the job titles and shuffle people around to give the impression of innovation and response to market change. Meanwhile, business never changes. Your job will likely be to work on larger scale projects that are well-funded and staffed, completed competently, and then recommendations passed up the chain to senior management, never to be heard from again.

After I began to notice the most talented employees get promoted to mid-level management but no further, and then take what they had learned and move into REAL health care/insurance (i.e. away from ancillary benefits), I realized this is the path for the worthy. Anyone who can do better does.

As many have mentioned, VSP uses a measure of "total compensation" to make you believe you are paid a market wage. Here's what I'd say about that: Look, you're not killing yourself here. Most folks are EASILY working their job on less than 40 hrs per week. So, look at your salary according to how much you are there, and realize all the stress you are avoiding by working here. Many folks love the culture and will stay forever. If you want to get paid more and innovate a product or service, probably best to look elsewhere.

Don't be afraid to let some outsiders into your inner sanctum...I mean really let them in. There are some things the company could do other than buying up everything they can to appear to be growing. The market is changing, and VSP is not "too big to fail".

There are newer employer reviews for VSP Vision Care