There are newer employer reviews for Vail Resorts

Fun environment to work with good intentions and potential to improve. But lacks the ability to keep employees around.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts

Pros

Vail Resorts has been a great place to learn about business and what its like to work for a larger company. I like the people I work with and enjoy the environment in which I come to each day. The work/ life balance that is emphasized is great for me. I also have appreciated the feedback and learning opportunities I've gained.

Cons

When it comes to fostering internal talent and creating for a positive/ enjoyable culture, I feel that the company can "talk about big talk but not walk the walk". The company is not good at keeping its subject matter experts and passionate people around. Not only is this disappointing from the outside, but it also has a strong affect on the people who are left behind to pick up the slack.

VR claims its most important asset is its employees. In order to keep this asset happy (and improve on the culture and general moral of the company), it should give its loyal, talented employees incentives to stick around.

reviews filtered by

Sexy company on the surface but treats employees poorly with understaffing and horrible work/life balance.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts

Pros

Free lift tickets but that's about it for this company. I don't recommned this company unless you like working 70 hours week.

Cons

High medical insurance cost, minimal vacation time (no Good Friday as an example and no Friday after Thanksgiving unless you use your own vacation time). 401k match is 50 cents on the dollar up to 4 percent.

I'

Cheap

Current Employee - IT Developer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts

Pros

Most co-workers easy to work with
    Free Starbucks coffee
    Free granola bars
    Work environment is relatively new
    Free ski pass

Cons

Compensation
      -Salary - Pay for non-management positions is 15-20% lower than market (managers are being paid 50% or more than direct reports)
      -Time-off - Holidays come out of employee's PTO; PTO is very slow to accrue for employees just starting (i.e. < 5 years at company)
      -Medical - Limited medical plans for employees (i.e. only one plan)

Work Environment
      -Cramped cubes and getting worse; Company is more concerned about cost of leasing space than worker productivity

Technology
      -Company does not give high quality technology to development staff
      -Fails to upgrade IT infrastructure because of cost

Employee Development
      -Consistently hire externally rather than promote from within
      -Internal training options are nearly non-existent
      -Consistently fail to cultivate talented employees
      -Training guidelines and allocation of training money is opaque process
      -Review process that is currently in place is used to push employees' salary into bell curve regardless of an individual's true performance

Management Communication
      -Upper management puts on charade to gather employees' input, but almost all decisions are foregone conclusions and employee input is not used.
      -Communication for large changes is typically vague in order to hide negative impacts to employees until the last minute (e.g. change in health care plan)
      -Management fails to answer direct questions from employees

Treat your employees like the are an asset instead of consistently viewing them as a cost and compensate them like they deserve to be instead of being cheap.

There are newer employer reviews for Vail Resorts