Experience of a lifetime

Current Employee - Senior Associate Accountant in Broomfield, CO
Current Employee - Senior Associate Accountant in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Ski passes! Good benefits and tons of advancement opportunities. The company provides lots of incentives to do great and give back to the community.

Cons

Lots of turnover, hard to keep up when down a person.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Ski Instrutor

Current Employee - Ski Instructor in Vail, CO
    Current Employee - Ski Instructor in Vail, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outside. Mountain views , a lift pass discount in company restaurant s, meeting people from around the world,,see how the other half live. Or that might be a con

Cons

Poor pay. Expensive living environment in the mountains did I say poor pay.... Am sold for $775. My take home $110. Before tax.....and there are others that take home less!!!, around $75.make you have savings before you come to work Seeing how the other half live....and learning how they got there!,

Advice to Management

Get into the real world...hire people based on skill , ..review your management at all levels, Try to live on the lowest wage ....

Epic? Not so much.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tahoe Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tahoe Valley, CA

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I'm paid to be on skis at a renowned mountain. -The majority of people in my department are responsible, loyal, friendly and driven. I'm proud to be a part of the team. -My immediate supervisor is refreshingly grounded and qualified for his position; he genuinely cares about his employees and pushes to implement ideas brought forth by us. -The department we coordinate with is composed of serious professionals who (mostly) appreciate the work we do for them. -Good people can be found among every other on-mountain department: food and beverage, security, lift operations, mountain hosts and ski school.

Cons

Our mountain reeks of corporate inefficiency. Disorganization, unfair pay, maddening bureaucracy, unethical behavior, high turnover and pathetic hiring standards degrade the work environment as well as the product we're pushing at a laughably high price. The department I work for is plagued by illogical protocol mandates delegated by distant office-dwellers that severely limit our functionality and overall effectiveness. Furthermore, the vast majority of input from us - the people on the ground every day - goes ignored beyond our supervisor and the lead of the department with which we coordinate, resulting in failed and/or stupid practices being kept in place. For what we do, our compensation is insulting. Unfortunately, I don't imagine this will ever change, as Vail has demonstrated that it fully embraces the notion that employees are dispensable and thus can be paid only enough to survive: a policy that allows for irresponsible burnouts and foreign man-children from wealthy families to be found all over the mountain. Stemming from this indifference is perpetual instability within most on-mountain departments which causes confusion, inefficiency, and substandard results; however, upper management can't seem to identify the relationship between constant turnover and sub-par numbers. To them, we're simply not trying hard enough.

Advice to Management

Start over.