Funnest "job" ever!

Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Keystone, CO
Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Keystone, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ski every day, for free! As a ski instructor, you get paid to show others the passion that you have for skiing. What could be better than that? Maybe only a surfing instructor.

Cons

Vail Resorts acts like the large corporation that it is, so you are just another cog in their wheel making them money. They didn't seem to care about the peons at the bottom.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees more like your customers, and people will stay with you for life!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Alpine Ski Instructor

Current Employee - Alpine Skiing Instructor in Breckenridge, CO
    Current Employee - Alpine Skiing Instructor in Breckenridge, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great opportunity, great environment. Best instructors in the world - when you're not working you get free alpine training! Fun and inviting atmosphere. Free lift ticket.

Cons

You'll get tons of work during holiday season, but if you lack seniority it is tough to get consistent hours between holidays. The hourly pay is just enough to pay the rent, you'll need tips to live well.

Advice to Management

Like many people I worked for only one season. I loved it, but I have not been back to visit - instead I've been skiing many other non-Vail resorts. I think management should leverage their one-season-only employees as marketing ambassadors by targeting employees early and building a relationship. With social media and a certain incentive package, the one-season-only employee could create immense value.

2. Great working experience in the mountains

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time

Pros

Company executives care about creating an engaging workplace. Company is expanding and successful, which is nice to be a part of. Management is open to identifying areas of opportunity working to improve them.

Cons

The company is getting large enough that at times the information doesn't get to everyone as quickly as it could or as accurately as it could.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.