There are newer employer reviews for Vail Resorts

Great company. Play where you work!

Former Employee - Resort Sales Coordinator in Keystone, CO
Former Employee - Resort Sales Coordinator in Keystone, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Season pass that is available to ALL Vail Resorts ski resorts and many other! Currently thats over 15 individual mountains!!!!
Huge company that is great experience, fun environment, everyone here loves the ski industry

Cons

The pay is less than you would expect. Its obviously a trade off, but not big enough to make you not be interested in working here.
Employee housing has 3 different tiers: horrible, not good and decent. Respectively these are called Sagebrush ($250 per month), Sunrise ($350 per month) and Tenderfoot ($450 per month). Sagebrush (has been condemned multiple times, is comparable to a dumpster and) is a shared 10 x 15 room with a small bunk bed, a small closet and toilet inside with a sink; there are ZERO kitchen capabilities. Sunrise is larger room at 15 x 20 with your own sink but has a shared kitchen and bathroom with a shower. Tenderfoot (where I lived) was decent with your own room, bed closet and dresser. It is essentially an apartment with a full kitchen, bathroom and living room (although its nothing fancy at all).
Working at the resort level is different than corporate. I have worked in both, but the people at the individual resorts are more laid back and relaxed, which is not to say they are uptight at the corporate office, just more of a variety of people and management styles. Management at the individual resort level is more relaxed because you actually live on (or very, very close to) the mountain and everyone is in the "Skiing for Life" mentality and enjoys a more relaxed lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Management cares and I dont think I met anyone in management that didnt or that I didnt feel was doing their job well. I met a few people who disagreed, but then again, they also always had a chip on their shoulder and a somewhat negative outlook on life.

reviews filtered by
  1. No opportunities, and poor pay

Former Employee - Multiple in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Multiple in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Only pro is a free ski pass. To bad you wont be able to afford to ski at all 27 mountains across the globe.

Cons

They are growing to fast and forgetting about why Vail was founded. No room for advancement and poor pay in comparison to other companies. Poor policies in transferring from position to position, which you have to do since all jobs are seasonal. Even as a supervisor you will get separated from the company and loose benefits a month a year.

Advice to Management

Stop on this global dominance path and look back at why Vail was founded. And pay your staff!

2. Some Real Pros and Some Really Big Cons

Current Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Breckenridge, CO
    Current Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Breckenridge, CO

I have been working at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Skiing at the area is a blast, and I made some wonderful friends.

Cons

Where do I start? I had to work forever to get my insurance - something like 750 hours. They barely cut you a break on the cost of your food. The management has a poor opinion of it's workers, stating, "If you don't like it, you can move on." Our way or the highway is pretty much the culture. They have some very poor managers who have very little experience and the culture is just a bunch of ski bums who made good. They have pathetic transportation to and from the area. A bunch of us would get on in the evenings and it was completely unsafe - we must have had 50 people too many. No parking close to the area, you have to take a bus. This one manager was such a jerk to everyone and a bunch of us complained and she's still employed. Such a joke. Nobody cares. Nobody listens. And my paycheck! Pathetic. Who can afford $9.00 per hour? Not this ski bum.

Advice to Management

Get some great managers and remember that you are supposed to be a people organization. You could care less about us little people and it shows. If it weren't for the snow, I would never return.