Top-heavy disconnected corporate culture in Broomfield

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Broomfield, CO
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some great people who work for Corp VR and some of those people love the environment. I didn't fit in as the corp culture took shape; other people have thrived. Just not for me.

Cons

Bloated hyper-political culture in corporate office. Micromanagement from the very top is the rule for most corp departments. One warning to potential corp employees: the only connection you will have to the end-user product is the dreams of working for a ski/resort company that you had when you applied. You're not working for a ski resort; you're working for a holding company whose only master is the value of the stock held by Vail's institutional investors. VR will short anything to improve the next Q by just a nudge.

Whatever you're doing is clearly good enough for you. Stock is doing well, revenue (and debt) keep going up, and your portfolio keeps growing like some weird expensive Disney/Walmart explosion. But how many more floors of analysts do you really need? Empower your lieutenants and step away to work on big picture stuff.

Other Reviews for Vail Resorts

Great company. Play where you work!

Former Employee - Resort Sales Coordinator  in  Keystone, CO
    Former Employee - Resort Sales Coordinator in Keystone, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Season pass that is available to ALL Vail Resorts ski resorts and many other! Currently thats over 15 individual mountains!!!!
    Huge company that is great experience, fun environment, everyone here loves the ski industry

Cons

The pay is less than you would expect. Its obviously a trade off, but not big enough to make you not be interested in working here.
    Employee housing has 3 different tiers: horrible, not good and decent. Respectively these are called Sagebrush ($250 per month), Sunrise ($350 per month) and Tenderfoot ($450 per month). Sagebrush (has been condemned multiple times, is comparable to a dumpster and) is a shared 10 x 15 room with a small bunk bed, a small closet and toilet inside with a sink; there are ZERO kitchen capabilities. Sunrise is larger room at 15 x 20 with your own sink but has a shared kitchen and bathroom with a shower. Tenderfoot (where I lived) was decent with your own room, bed closet and dresser. It is essentially an apartment with a full kitchen, bathroom and living room (although its nothing fancy at all).
    Working at the resort level is different than corporate. I have worked in both, but the people at the individual resorts are more laid back and relaxed, which is not to say they are uptight at the corporate office, just more of a variety of people and management styles. Management at the individual resort level is more relaxed because you actually live on (or very, very close to) the mountain and everyone is in the "Skiing for Life" mentality and enjoys a more relaxed lifestyle.

Management cares and I dont think I met anyone in management that didnt or that I didnt feel was doing their job well. I met a few people who disagreed, but then again, they also always had a chip on their shoulder and a somewhat negative outlook on life.

No opportunities, and poor pay

Former Employee - Multiple  in  Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Multiple in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Only pro is a free ski pass. To bad you wont be able to afford to ski at all 27 mountains across the globe.

Cons

They are growing to fast and forgetting about why Vail was founded. No room for advancement and poor pay in comparison to other companies. Poor policies in transferring from position to position, which you have to do since all jobs are seasonal. Even as a supervisor you will get separated from the company and loose benefits a month a year.

Stop on this global dominance path and look back at why Vail was founded. And pay your staff!

There are newer employer reviews for Vail Resorts.

Worked for Vail Resorts? Contribute to the Community!