Vaisala - Colorado

www.vaisala.com

Great people and products. Processes way too cumbersome for the company to be agile.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

Pros

Vaisala Louisville is an engineering outpost of the mother company in Finland. As a separate entity, this location's people are very close and work well together. They take pride in their products and are very knowledgeable in a broad range of applications.

Cons

Communication between groups in the U.S. and Finland are difficult until personal on-on-one relationships are built - impossible when travel is frozen. Many VERY complex processes (established in Finland) to get things done makes even the smallest product change take far too much time and too many peoples' efforts. Major organizational changes have helped some projects, but crippled others. Product line maybe getting TOO diverse?

Simplify the processes. Allow U.S. engineering some autonomy in their product development. Not every product needs to meet world-wide features/desires/requirements. Potentially run with a smaller subset of the product line, but tuned to U.S. markets?

Other reviews for Vaisala - Colorado

I enjoyed the work, the people and my direct management a lot (based on 2006 - 2010).

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer  in  Louisville, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Louisville, CO

Pros

I felt as though my direct management was very supportive of my efforts. They provided appropriate tools as needed. My office was really nice and there was ample opportunity to learn. They put together company organized events which were really great. I only left because I had an opportunity to work on a project with really great people, which I could not pass up.

Cons

I didn't get the impression that there was a lot of room for moving up the chain of command. I was really there to be an engineer, so I wasn't so concerned and I only worked there for 4 years. Their industry is a difficult one and at the time, I think the upper management was not very imaginative. Upper management has been "restructured" since then and I hear good things.

Support your lower management well. They are key to your success because they interface with the majority of employees directly and therefore the customers. Happy workers are a happy company. Put a lot of thought into every reorganization, because they are very stressful for the employees and there seems to be a reorganization every few years.

Entry Level to mid-management in ~9 years

Former Employee - Service Manager  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Boulder, CO

Pros

Strong benefits package, flexible schedule, relaxed work atmosphere

Cons

lost of mobility for anyone accept Americans. slow moving, reluctant to change.

There are newer employer reviews for Vaisala - Colorado.

Worked for Vaisala - Colorado? Contribute to the Community!