There are newer employer reviews for Valassis

Company has missed the boat and is slowly sinking.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Valassis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sales roles have a lot of freedom. Benefits were good. Their are some smart people within the organization. Salaries were good as well but commissions were poorly thought out and got weaker as time marched on.

Cons

The company only exists because of their acquisition of ADVO and a legal settlement of 250MM in cash. They have squeezed almost all the blood out of both those stones and have nothing else to hitch their star too. The company is slow to innovate and their pricing and product development are inflexible and always two steps behind the market. The company will slowly generate less and less revenue a year until they are bought out by a larger media organization or fold completely.

Look to promote individuals who are smart and can see the future. Think more long term than what the share price will be next quarter.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good Culture, Supportive Co-Workers, Mediocre Excitement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I worked at Valassis full-time

Pros

The people are friendly and there's a real sense of community. I felt I was paid adequately for my level of experience and contributions, though the work I was doing wasn't the most exciting thing in the world (at least to my tastes).

Cons

Unfortunately the 2008 economy took a toll on Valassis and I was one of over 100 people laid off on one day. I felt betrayed as I was told that I was "being groomed" for a long career at the company, but it did just come down to the numbers. Now, I'm grateful for the experience I gained and the people I met. It was a good stepping stone in my career.

2. Work life balance

Former Employee - Data Warehoude Developer in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Data Warehoude Developer in Windsor, CT

I worked at Valassis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work hours, work life balance. good benefits like health, 401 K and leave options . Vacation days. Maternity and parental leaves are good.

Cons

Inter Company growth options are less. management still can improve. All dependents on company performance . Stock options could be more.

There are newer employer reviews for Valassis