There are newer employer reviews for Valencia College

Atlas Lab Kissimmee campus

Current Employee - Atlas Lab Assistant in Kissimmee, FL
Current Employee - Atlas Lab Assistant in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Valencia College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Already on campus so I had a short commute to class, Leadership experience, not physically demanding I got to sit at a desk most of the time, I was always up to speed on new things occurring on campus

Cons

I only worked 20 hrs a week but that's was the legal maximum and my manager couldn't control that

35 Other Employee Reviews for Valencia College (View Most Recent)

Good community

I have been working at Valencia College full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, good benefits

Cons

Way too many required hours. Most places I know require teaching only 3 or 4 classes for full time and it's 6 at Valencia. Definitely more than 35 hours per week after it's all said and done.

Weird policies make this not as great a place as it could be

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Valencia College part-time

Pros

Great coworkers and students. Can really make a difference.

Cons

The biggest thing is that they have literally NO on the job training. As in, even if the person leaving gives lots of notice the replacement's hire date won't ever overlap. As in, don't apply for anything you don't already have experience in, you probably won't even get an interview. As in, this means they have to hire people based on experience more than the best fit for the job.

The other thing is the strictness of the hierarchy. Great if you happen to be tenured faculty, not so great if you're staff or (heaven forbid) part-time staff. Part-time staff isn't even allowed resources needed to do the job, such as an assigned work space or keys to open or lock up the area they are working in. Teaching adjuncts aren't supposed to even get a desk/computer of their own to use, although I think most departments find ways to work around that rule.

Have heard some changes that happened with the new president of the college coming in, doesn't sound promising. Also some of the regulations being passed down from the state are making it harder to get the students to where they need to be by graduation.

You're always talking about how the state wants you to run the school more like a business. Businesses make sure their employees are trained properly and give their staff access to resources they need to do their job.

Also, you shouldn't be so proud of keeping tuition low if you're doing it by raising fees. Fees aren't covered as often by financial aid, so you're actually screwing the students more than if you raised tuition. Just saying.

There are newer employer reviews for Valencia College