ValleyCare Health System of Ohio

understaffed and overworked

Former Employee - Day of Service/ER Registrar in Youngstown, OH
Former Employee - Day of Service/ER Registrar in Youngstown, OH

I worked at ValleyCare Health System of Ohio

Pros

staff is able to pull together to get the necessary work done. each does the work of at least 3 positions other than thier own.

Cons

variable shift, working 3 different shifts within 1 week. i.e., dayturn, afternoon and midnight shift all in one week and not necessarily in that order. there has been a raise freeze for the past 6 years and hundreds of employees were laid off so they could "re-build" Northside hospital in youngstown.

Advice to Management

leaders at valleycare need to stop trying to impress CHS by complying with their number crunching and pay more attention to what these numbers are doing to the employees caring for the patients that go to valleycare's Northside hospital.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. PCT Patient Care Tech

Current Freelancer - Patient Care Tech in Warren, OH
    Current Freelancer - Patient Care Tech in Warren, OH

I have been working at ValleyCare Health System of Ohio

Pros

I love my job as a PCT. We do all the blood work and EKG's throughout the hospital, except the ED, they have their own PCT's. I started at Trumbull in 2005 as a Medical Assistant, when that dept closed, I was put in the PCT pool, where I've been since. Right now I am only working per diem. I know the job we do is so important when you are in the hospital. Blood work lets the Dr;s know whats going on so they can get the right treatment for you. I've also have CPR updated and ASCP certified.

Cons

The only thing I had a problem with was the staffing, then they started changes the hours. I can not work full-time so I am applying for part-time if I can help out with that. Hiring new Phlebotomists which allot of them did not stay, because they did not realize how intense the job we do is. Fast paced, working with not enough staff, etc.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees, take the time to let them know what exactly we do.

2. charge rn

Former Employee - Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse in Hubbard, OH
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse in Hubbard, OH

I worked at ValleyCare Health System of Ohio full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

coworkers are like family; they are dedicated and hard workers. Good benefits. Fairly decent hospital setting.

Cons

continuously short staffed; high turnover in staff. Frequent change in administration with hostile environment; always looking to staff split.