There are newer employer reviews for ValleyCrest Companies

Tough Job, but great business experience

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All the benefits of a big company--stable, employee benefits (401k, vacation, medical, dental)--in a landscape company. Lots of work outside.

Cons

When times are busy--most of the time--they are really busy. Long hours with lots to juggle. Corporate involvement can be tiresome and add more to the workload. If you aren't driven and don't take control of your own training/advancement, you most likely won't succeed.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Branch Leadership?

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with most people at my branch, and the work was fun and interesting. When the workload was balanced, we could do great things.

Cons

The top branch leadership didn't seem interested in the issues on my projects or in my personal workload. The culture seemed to promote managing the perception of corporate bosses rather than getting involved and actually directing the branch.

Advice to Management

Advice to corporate management: honestly evaluate the branches with feedback from the employees. Put more emphasis on real leadership and interpersonal effectiveness when filling top branch positions.

Depends on the branch

Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company, reputation and visibility result in a steady stream of incoming work. Sr management in California seem to have good intentions.

Cons

Let me start by saying that it totally depends on the branch and branch manager how your experience with VC is. I know plenty of people within VC at other branches that have positive things to say. However, at my branch, the branch manager was totally out of touch with how to manage a business. Tried to micromanage and would threaten to fire you to get what he wanted. Would show up late daily but have the Account managers send workers home if they were five minutes late. If it didn't help the bottom line (read: his bonus), you could forget about it. Labor was cut when costs ran too high, resulting in a dwindling quality of work and upset customers. Talented people were hired as "Trainees" and forced to work far below their pay grade with hope of a "promotion" sometime down the line (read: never). Lot of talk about developing people and furthering education but nothing done. The Account managers all were more worried about doing what it took to keep the branch manager happy and not get fired than about keeping the customer happy and furthering the development of the branch's business. Pretty toxic place.

Advice to Management

It's not all about the bottom line. Pay more attention to your branch managers and how they are treating your people.