There are newer employer reviews for Valspar

Valspar is a demanding but rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Chemist I in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Chemist I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar

Pros

Unique opportunities to learn and grow professionally. It's a very fast paced atmosphere with new challenges almost daily. You are given a lot of rope to manage your projects, but are held accountable for delivering.

Cons

Typically work more than 40 hours per week, frequent weekend and holiday work as well. Requires about 20 to 25% travel. Very often travel is required with minimal notice. There does not seem to be any incentive (financial) for those who are willing to travel when asked (other than an occassional "thank you"). There is a disparity in the travel requirement, i.e. some folks refuse to travel.

Advice to Management

I would appreciate it if those who are willing to travel are given more compensation.

reviews filtered by
  1. Valspar - a great place to grow.

Current Employee - Programmer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Programmer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar

Pros

The people - management and otherwise. Everyone works together, is willing to share knowledge, and is encouraged to learn new things.

Cons

The pay is not quite as good as other companies where IT is concerned. However, there isn't any unpaid overtime which offsets the pay issue.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the same kind of people. Remember to keep the place a fun place to work. That makes up for any pay issues.

Valspar Garland

Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Garland, TX

I have been working at Valspar

Pros

Close to home and don't use alot of gas to get there. I started out at the bottom and now work in the lab. This job gave me a good chance to move up and make a good jump with the positions that were available. Too bad the money jumped the same no matter where I moved up to. So basically, I was doing more important work and getting paid equally as those who started out the same time as me but where stuck as non-important people that could be easily replaced any day. Great people to work with, sometimes, but many of us from the same area moved on to find different areas to get better oppertunities.

Cons

People don't respect good hard work. People don't always respect you for your job well done. There is too many times when you are left all alone to do the job of two peole. It is the best way for Valspar to get free work out of you and they don't compensate you properly for that hard work. They simply up your workload or give you extra jobs that really belong to someone else that can't do them correctly.

Advice to Management

To pay attention to the people that are left alone doing their job plus the next guy's job as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Valspar