Valspar

www.valspar.com
  www.valspar.com
There are newer employer reviews for Valspar

Jobs eliminated after 17+ years of service.

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Process Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Valspar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

More than enough work to keep you busy.

Cons

Valspar routinely has "job eliminations" depending on financial results. Always a lingering fear of losing your job. Strong job performance is no guarantee of job security. Valspar just completed a 5% workforce reduction globally because the company did not hit financial targets in 3rd quarter. Was told the eliminations were not based on job performance. It was very obvious that the cuts were based on experience level and salary. I had 17 years with the company and I was one of teh shhortest tenured people let go in the Packaging division.

Gary Hendrickson made a comment during one of the company wide "State of the Business" conference call. He said that Valspar didn't hit the financial results that they told Wall Street in the 3rd quarter of 2013. He said that will never happen again, as long as he is President and CEO. Fourth quarter comes along and there is a 5% workforce reduction. It's the people working for you that have brought Valspar to the reputation it has. Management has turned its back on dependable, long term employees with good performance reviews, solely in an attempt to hit financial targets at a single point in time. The amount of experienced engineers chopped from the Packaging Division, just to cut costs, will have an impact on your bottom line.

149 Other Employee Reviews for Valspar (View Most Recent)

Awesome place to work.

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Several opportunities for growth in the sales teams, true partnership between Valspar and our customers, management tries to help employeees with their career, and they often provide us with projects to help us understand the internal relationships. They place a lot of emphasis on integrity and honesty. The safety culture emphasis is pretty heavy and something to get used to.

Cons

Would like more consistency in the types of managers they hire and promote, more exposure to other divisions or groups, and more communication around all of the change that is going on. Growing fast and in a positive way but would like to understand why and how a little more.

Communicate change more frequently and continue to focus on employee growth and development.

Cold Human Resources

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Valspar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High Quality Product but Management's Growth Story is a lie.

Cons

Never know if you have a job. Management by fear.

Any communication would be an improvement

There are newer employer reviews for Valspar