Value Line
www.valueline.com New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

How to Ruin a Once-Great Business by Really Trying

Equity Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsAn analyst can complete his -- and I mean HIS, there are virtually NO female analysts -- work in an hour or two each day. That leaves time for many other pleasurable activities. Eventually VL analysts find they have lots of free time to look for better jobs. They find those better jobs and leave, creating the turnover that opens the door to more entry-level analysts.

ConsThe business is shrinking. The Internet is killing it. Fewer and fewer people subscribe to the main publication because the same information is available for free elsewhere. VL does not create new products that are successful. New products rarely pull in enough revenue to cover costs. Some are dismal failures. There has been no growth in the mutual fund business, a sign of the managerial incompetence of ONE person -- the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should hang on until retirement and remember that the only change to expect is a shrinking business. Soon, the only subscribers will be libraries. A generation of people who never heard of VL are now the majority of investors and Wall Street has little use for the VL product. The company is into its obsolescence phase and heading for extinction.

what a joke

Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

I have been working at Value Line full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: good intro to investing and stock analysis ....reasonable hours (9-5) ...rank and file workers are generally nice (there… Cons: both upper and middle management are AWFUL ...competitor Morningstar started 40 years or so later than Value Line - yet the former has a market… Advice to Senior Management: put the company up for sale (maybe the name has some residual value) ...hope that private equity… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Avoid at all costs!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

I worked at Value Line full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: In by 9 and out by 5 and nobody has… Cons: Clueless and avaricious management, inflexibility, and entrenched thievery by long-term cronies make this a revolving door of poor, unmotivated non-performers. A… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Value Line.

Worked for Value Line? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Value Line reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Value Line CEO Howard A. Brecher. All reviews posted anonymously by Value Line employees.