ValueClick

www.valueclick.com
  www.valueclick.com
There are newer employer reviews for ValueClick

Senior managers good, middle-managers bad

Former Employee - Developer in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at ValueClick

Pros

Very generous towards employees, with a good training budget and socialising. Close enough to the centre of the internet (especially with Commission Junction) but without the huge number of layers like at Google and Microsoft. The highest levels of management really seem to know what they're doing - a good instinct for business, understanding the difference between a fad and a trend.

Cons

It does seem to be (d)evolving into a typical medium sized company - too many incompetent middle-managers more concerned about the size and location of their office than anything else. Also, too many decisions seem to be made in the 'boys network' (in the pub, or outside smoking).

Get rid of all the middle-managers, cut down on the expensive luxuries and don't try to force a creative environment.

42 Other Employee Reviews for ValueClick (View Most Recent)

Exciting environment, great people, interesting projects

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ValueClick full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the fast-paced, interesting research work I get to do every day.

Cons

It may be too fast-paced for some people.

Make sure the employees are happy in the non-Chicago offices.

Solid, if unspectacular, place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ValueClick full-time

Pros

Company is solid so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. There is much software to maintain and enhance. The work can be interesting, though. Great work-life balance. Benefits are good and family-friendly. Vacation policy is outstanding. Employees are great to work with. Pay is good, too.

Cons

Training? What's that? Oh, there is plenty of that touchy-feely stuff that salespeople love. Technical training? Conferences? Not here. Politics between groups more than there should be. Old-school technical management thinking, where managers code and architect. Since there is so much legacy code running, chances for something cutting-edge are few. Chances for advancement seem to favor those working in Chicago.

Upper management is useless. Seriously, I have no idea what they do. CEO mostly worked on getting the company sold so he can have his fat payday. The CTO...really I don't know what he does. I know he keeps developers from going to conferences and getting good hardware to work with. No leadership, though. Then, since the company bought Dotomi and its CEO became our CEO, they think the world revolves around Chicago. Gotta get rid of people in California because it can be done so much better in Chicago...over the phone. Idiots.

There are newer employer reviews for ValueClick