There are newer employer reviews for Valvoline

vioc is multiple franchises, henley is the largest

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

training is good if you have never worked on cars before.it is a good opertunity to get a ground level understanding of vehicle systems. great medical plan that they contribute a lot too. they match up to 5% for 401k.

Cons

low pay
poor schedual
limited advancment in some areas

Advice to Management

provide more backup for fixing things that break

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

People don't care how much you know but they want to know how much you care...stay away from this company

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Valvoline full-time

Pros

1. Gain experience working on cars
    2. Fun
    3. Team Work

Cons

1. Lack of caring and bonus...I didn't see more dimes even after I was chosen as the year highest dollar over posted in the nation.
    2. I got a call to come in to work even though I was sick with doctor's notice
    3. 60-80hr/week

Advice to Management

1. Go back to business school, relearn everything again on how to run a successful business. I ran above 80% of employees retention when I was running two stores. Happy employees means: better morale, less training expenses, and at the end: profit....NOT the other way around.
    2. Show the example of work smarter than work harder! The team I constructed and managed went over 178% OVER THE YEAR of the corporate goal for the store.
    3. Have a better compensation structure. I set up and led sales training small seminars for other stores and the outcome: ~25% increase sales per month after the seminar. I didn't see any more dimes in my bank account.
    4. How long and what does it take for changing the whole mind set of cutting throats and negativity for profit? Again, go back to business school!

Put up with a lot for a little

Current Employee - Certified Technician in Boardman, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Technician in Boardman, OH

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-In-depth knowledge of cars and various car manufacturers
    -Decent wages and benefits
    -Easy, laid back environment with constant breaks

Cons

-It's 100% all about your sales numbers. If you can't sell, you can be the best technician in the world and you won't be promoted.
    -Employees in upper management are constantly making racist/sexist remarks. Reports to your service center manager or area manager might lead to the person being disciplined, depending on their numbers. If their numbers were good, they were never reprimanded for anything, only encouraged. If their numbers were bad, that was an excuse to terminate them and you'd never see them again.
    -Constant theft in the stores. One store I worked at was missing more money out of the drawer than it was supposed to contain. But that store ran numbers, so no one was ever punished. Another store has an employee in federal prison for forging bank statements and pocketing deposits.
    -They will promote you, then demote you, then promote you, then demote you. They would rather punish or reward you than work with you and make you a more consistent employee.
    -Crooked practices. Hooking up machines and never performing services that they charge the customers for, breaking parts on vehicles, doing $20 cash deals for side money, the list is quite long.

Advice to Management

-Listen to your employees. And enforce policies you promise to enforce.
    -The customer may be king, but that doesn't make the technicians peasants. We shouldn't have to bend over backwards to accommodate customers making pejorative remarks. We're human too.
    -It's about the quality of employee you're molding, not the dollars over posted for that day. If you have one technician who can work on cars that doesn't mean that they need to acquiesce to every whim of the salesmen. It means you need to train your salesmen to do the work they're recommending instead of inflating their paychecks for inflating yours and working that one technician til they drop dead of exhaustion.
    -You are an oil change facility, not a 5 star restaurant! Most of our customers expect the technicians to look a little rugged. As long as their tattoos are generally unoffensive, they should be allowed to remain visible. I've seen COUNTLESS technicians pass out in the middle of July because they're working bottomside where no one can see them and wearing turtlenecks so not to offend.