There are newer employer reviews for Vanderbilt University

Great stepping stone, but won't stay!

Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity right out of college for research. Very flexible hours and great benefits.

Cons

Horrible pay!!!!! Management in my field is poor. Have to fight for your application to make it through their long application process.

Other Employee Reviews for Vanderbilt University

Great for doing homework, horrible hours and wages. I worked at the student rec center

Current Employee - Work Study in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Work Study in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to do homework on the job The job is super easy and relaxed, most of the time

Cons

Management is horrible Wages are terrible and there's no chance to move up The patrons are not very friendly and can be very rude Can't get time off

Advice to Management

Learn the realize that students are students and sometimes need time off. Be more flexible

2. Vanderbilt wants to be run in an efficient, business-like manner, but the internal political climate won't allow it.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vanderbilt has an excellent benefits package. My co-workers were excellent employees. Also, we always had the latest equipment available for our use.

Cons

Vanderbilt suffers from intense political strife, which leads to much confusion among the employees. You don't know if your job is "safe", and it is a day-to-day concern. Recently, management suspended vacation accrual for 3 months. Additionally, hiring was frozen until the end of the fiscal year. It is apparent some mis-management has occurred in upper level management. There seems to be a lack of empathy for the lab employees role by upper management.

Advice to Management

Good upper level leadership is lacking; it must be improved. The lack of appreciation for lower level employees by upper level management is appalling. When poor management decisions are made, the rank and file staffing suffers for it, instead of the manager that made the mistake. The success of Vanderbilt research depends on solid management. Unfortunately, there is precious little of it to be found at this time.