Vanguard
www.vanguard.com Malvern, PA 5000+ Employees

Not a place for a seasoned professional

Client Relationship Administrator (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard

ProsThe benefits are great, if you can tolerate other aspects of the job long enough to become fully vested. Flexible schedule with the right manager.

Vanguard company ownership truly proves to be integral when it comes to client ownership, and doing what’s right for the client from an investment standpoint.

ConsA job fit for an administrative assistant rather than a financial advisor/relationship manager.

If you currently have an office, with your own admin, do not make the mistake of thinking the grass is greener at Vanguard. Not greener, grayer! Depressing grey cube redundancy that fits a “call center” on every aspect, even though the words out of everyone’s mouth is “we’re not a call center”. Additionally, the managers who are saying that are also thinking in their head; “Thank God I don’t have their job!”

A very dirty job. 2500 clients get dumped in your lap, and it's your job to handle everything maintenance oriented, and fix all of the problems. This is a job role where you do all of the maintenance work instead of the portfolio management. What makes it worse is all of the admin work is done on the most archaic system platform I have ever seen. The training on how to use the multiple systems is almost absent, proving to be the longest system acclimation process I have ever experienced, and I build my own computers.

As far as using your investment expertise, you must transfer a client who wants advice to a CFP who are most likely less qualified, have fewer years managing portfolios, and have no professional experience outside of Vanguard. The insult to injury is the client manager who started their professional career with Vanguard, just passed their series 7 exam, over your shoulder explaining how to have an investment discussion with your client.

Finally…the pay. Let’s just say without exaggeration, you can make more money opening checking accounts at a bank than what you will make at Vanguard. The sweet talk about partnership and annual bonuses will earn you a whopping 3-5 k if you and your direct manager frequent happy hour together. Unfortunately, Bogle’s integrity which formed the company doesn’t flow through some of the leaders who have the freedom to depart from professionalism, and character.

Needless to say, I have a few interviews lined up.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the above and take action! If not, you will see a significant change to your attrition rate VERY soon.

Promote more qualified middle managers who have the proven experience necessary to properly lead seasoned financial professionals.

Reasonable experience but some issues with work life balance

Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros: Great supervisor Good benefits Some promotion opportunities Cons: Not a great salary Difficult Work/Life balance More

Stressfull and unappreciated

Communications Associate (Former Employee)
Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard

Pros: PTO ,casual dress Decent health care, Nice partnership payouts Benefits start the day… Cons: Management not in tuned with their staff, high turnover in certain departments.Upper management needs to set the tone… Advice to Senior Management: When you do the crews surveys take them serious ,talk to the staff and find out how they really feel about the company. Main… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Vanguard.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vanguard CEO William McNabb. All reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees.