There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

This is a company where ambition goes to die (if you are an entry-level employee).

Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Malvern, PA
Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard

Pros

PTO policy (23 days off my first year).
401k matching (if you stay the 6 years there to get the vesting it is good, but you're salary still sucks and anybody that stays there for 6 years that came in as an entry level hire is an idiot).

Cons

Inflexible work hours and difficulty in getting out for doctor's appointments without it counting as an "Unscheduled Paid Time Off" (which has ramifications).
Arbitrary "Time in Job" requirements that cannot be waived, regardless of how overqualified you are for your current position.
Monotonous nature of the work. No way to get time off the phones.

Straight up, if you are hired into an entry level phone associate position you are going to hate your job and despise coming to work every day. If you have any sort of ambition in life, this is not the place to start your career. The turnover in the departments is absurd, "Team Leaders" lack basic knowledge of financial markets and try as hard as possible not to take elevated calls.

Whatever I type is irrelevant here. Management does not care about the easily replaceable "peons" that are phone associates. I urge anyone considering employment here to strongly reconsider. If you don't drink the kool-aid, you are shunned. Thankfully I can say, I did not take one sip of the toxic kool-aid that Vanguard serves up.

715 Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard (View Most Recent)

Monotonous!

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

Great place to invest and to learn about the investments industry.

Cons

Not great best place to work. Departmental metrics are pointless and it's a call center. Any job you get, you will be dealing with thousands of customers over phones.

I've had some great supervisors but the one I have right now, could not care less about his job or our growth in the company. If Vanguard likes to cut costs left and right, they should get rid of all the 'Team Leaders' and have us run our own groups.

Good Company to start at

Current Employee - Tax Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

The company provides great opportunities to learn about all aspects of the finance sector. They have great training available to their employees, and if you are willing to look promotions from lower levels into low level management come quickly.

Cons

In order to get into upper management it is all about who you know and where you went to school. the firm would never admit it, but if you look at the educational background of upper management 90 to 95 % are Ivy league, so if you have your eyes on upper management, and you didn't go to an ivy league school chances are slim you will get there.

Do not cap promotions at fifteen percent. Too many employees are lost due to capping promotions lstifling an employees growth. Also, allow for more flexibility with associate level positions that do not have phone requirements. Stop assuming that because a person is ok at managing people that they will be able to manage any department in the company. Too many low level managers are clueless about the workings of the departments they run.

There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard