Mix Signals by Management, but Still a Great Company

Current Employee - Developer in Valley Forge, PA
Current Employee - Developer in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO is best in class...new hires get 3 weeks, but after a promotion I was up to 4 weeks and 4 days, plus we always have an option to buy a week.
The 401k match is very good because of the 14% put in yearly by Vanguard, then add in the low cost investor fees.
As a software developer in the Retail division, I'm given the opportunity to learn the Brokerage and Mutual Fund business, while also honing Technical skills.
The Yearly Bonus recently changed so Top Performers get a bigger cut of the money, and this greatly benefited me since I'm still a relatively new hire.
There's a Wegman's now, so we've got that.

Cons

There's a lot, but the culture is changing:
Yearly Compensation is low for the suburbs, and honestly if I wasn't in IT I wouldn't be able to live without a roommate.
When I lobbied for a promotion after only a year on the job (not unreasonable), I was told I needed time in job by my manager. Within 6 mos. I was promoted. Then about 3 yrs later I was given a review that stated, "not visible to upper management" which of course I barely control, so I switched to a very visible role on a $60 mil project, where I soon became a SME. Now I'm getting signals where I'm integral to the program, yet there's no promotion to compensate me for that. It's just frustrating that the company is trying to be more visible in its promotion/demotion area, yet individual Divisions can squash it.
Working in the Suburbs

Advice to Management

The culture isn't skewing to a younger demographic and crew, but we are the future. We're not harmless, but we are hungry.
Embrace flexibility (it's getting better, but there's still a "Factory Worker" culture)
Promotions/Demotions should be handled by a Manager and their Directs, and not by three or four levels above.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to learn about finance and the corporate world

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing educational opportunities, mentorship program, subsidized food on campus, get paid to get financial licenses, and an excellent benefits package.

Cons

Very egalitarian culture- they do not embrace innovation, and you must go through many many channels to make progress (aka, email 3 people to get approval before you change an entry on an excel spreadsheet)... Some departments are wonderful (like the Sales and Marketing Retail group) but others are a bit depressing and behind the times (more on the Institutional side)... And the dress code is way too strict considering the chance of seeing a client is slim to none.

Advice to Management

Allow more room for independence and creativity- micromanagement and bureaucracy don't fit well with the Millenial mentality.

2. Good Company to start at

Current Employee - Tax Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Vanguard

Pros

The company provides great opportunities to learn about all aspects of the finance sector. They have great training available to their employees, and if you are willing to look promotions from lower levels into low level management come quickly.

Cons

In order to get into upper management it is all about who you know and where you went to school. the firm would never admit it, but if you look at the educational background of upper management 90 to 95 % are Ivy league, so if you have your eyes on upper management, and you didn't go to an ivy league school chances are slim you will get there.

Advice to Management

Do not cap promotions at fifteen percent. Too many employees are lost due to capping promotions lstifling an employees growth. Also, allow for more flexibility with associate level positions that do not have phone requirements. Stop assuming that because a person is ok at managing people that they will be able to manage any department in the company. Too many low level managers are clueless about the workings of the departments they run.