There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

Mix Signals by Management, but Still a Great Company

Current Employee - Developer  in  Valley Forge, PA
Current Employee - Developer in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PTO is best in class...new hires get 3 weeks, but after a promotion I was up to 4 weeks and 4 days, plus we always have an option to buy a week.
The 401k match is very good because of the 14% put in yearly by Vanguard, then add in the low cost investor fees.
As a software developer in the Retail division, I'm given the opportunity to learn the Brokerage and Mutual Fund business, while also honing Technical skills.
The Yearly Bonus recently changed so Top Performers get a bigger cut of the money, and this greatly benefited me since I'm still a relatively new hire.
There's a Wegman's now, so we've got that.

Cons

There's a lot, but the culture is changing:
Yearly Compensation is low for the suburbs, and honestly if I wasn't in IT I wouldn't be able to live without a roommate.
When I lobbied for a promotion after only a year on the job (not unreasonable), I was told I needed time in job by my manager. Within 6 mos. I was promoted. Then about 3 yrs later I was given a review that stated, "not visible to upper management" which of course I barely control, so I switched to a very visible role on a $60 mil project, where I soon became a SME. Now I'm getting signals where I'm integral to the program, yet there's no promotion to compensate me for that. It's just frustrating that the company is trying to be more visible in its promotion/demotion area, yet individual Divisions can squash it.
Working in the Suburbs

The culture isn't skewing to a younger demographic and crew, but we are the future. We're not harmless, but we are hungry.
Embrace flexibility (it's getting better, but there's still a "Factory Worker" culture)
Promotions/Demotions should be handled by a Manager and their Directs, and not by three or four levels above.

687 Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard (View Most Recent)

Great place to learn about finance and the corporate world

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing educational opportunities, mentorship program, subsidized food on campus, get paid to get financial licenses, and an excellent benefits package.

Cons

Very egalitarian culture- they do not embrace innovation, and you must go through many many channels to make progress (aka, email 3 people to get approval before you change an entry on an excel spreadsheet)... Some departments are wonderful (like the Sales and Marketing Retail group) but others are a bit depressing and behind the times (more on the Institutional side)... And the dress code is way too strict considering the chance of seeing a client is slim to none.

Allow more room for independence and creativity- micromanagement and bureaucracy don't fit well with the Millenial mentality.

Everything depends on your manager

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you get a great manager, I haven't worked at a better place.

Cons

If your manager changes, or you decide to take an opportunity in another department and get a poor manager, your entire career is put on hold until you can get a better manager. And the ration is about 50/50 on good / poor managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!