Vanguard

www.vanguard.com
There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

Great company... Senior mgmt worked hard for employee engagement and shared profits

Former Employee - Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
Former Employee - Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Industry leader, cutting edge technology, sound business strategy. The security attention for infrastructure, employees and customers sets a good example for wall street and the industry.

Cons

Pay is a little on the low side, and some of the older employees are shoved around. Some of the younger strategies like smart start- for fresh college grads- implied if you were old, then you were slow and dumb.

786 Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard (View Most Recent)

Vanguard Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Administrator in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Administrator in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At Vanguard work-life balance is a big part of the culture. People almost never work weekends and the place clears up by around 7pm. The headquarters (in valley forge, PA) is very rural and peaceful and not at all what you'd expect from such a large asset manager.

Cons

Vanguard relies primarily on outside talent when it come to the most technical and interesting positions. PMs for actively managed fund, for example, are usually outsourced and much of the internal strategy relies on outside consultants.

I would suggest a greater openness to professional development. Like many companies it is rather hard to move from the back office to the front and at senior analyst/trader/pm level much of the staff is externally hired rather than promoted from the inside.

A large company that does great by it's clients, but has trouble keeping up technologically.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly stable job working for a company that has a pretty strong ethical foundation. The benefits are really nice, especially the almost absurd amount of vacation time you get (I have almost 6 weeks). Their 401(k) match is 4% plus 10% vesting. They've recently gone full steam with employee engagement and flexibility, so things are getting a lot better than they used to be.

The culture has become more relaxed (business casual all the time) while still maintaining the focus on charity and client value.

Cons

You can still feel the weight of the enterprise when you have to work with multiple groups on a project. It's not that there's active resistance, it's that you're often far on the organization chart from people who you work with on a daily basis. This can lead to a lot of small problems that don't seem apparent until they all come up at once.

Maintain your current trajectory for pushing forward with innovation, flexibility and engagement. While you've made a few missteps, it's generally been working. Reward managers who push their teams and the organizations toward positive change.

This is a big one: Hire people into specific positions and make sure they're aware of what they're being hired for. I've spoken to lots of people who were unpleasantly surprised by what their day to day function was going to be once they got to work. When I started I spent a few months in a position I absolutely hated and was mystified why I would be placed there given my skill set. Fortunately I found another position internally that was a good fit.

There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard