Vanguard

There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

Client Relationship Administrator - Business Development Group

Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vanguard's benefits are incredibly competitive, and they are available from day one on the job. The people who I work with are so friendly and helpful, which makes the experience positive.

Cons

Career progression within Vanguard is rather difficult. I've applied for multiple positions within the company, but have found it difficult to even make a lateral move to a different department.

The salaries are alright, but they are not exactly competitive with other comparable jobs that I've seen in the industry.

Listen to your employees. I do realize that Vanguard is a large corporation, but at least some input should be gathered from associates when making major strutural changes that affect the way we do our jobs.

732 Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard (View Most Recent)

Eh Not crazy about it

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits start on day one. They give you a lot in you retirement accounts and they have a lot of business and prestige.

Cons

They are turning more call center based. They are forcing associates to be customer services reps because they have done away with brokerage as a position and encompassed in with customer service.

Stop trying to be competitive by making things like the competitors and continue to set yourself apart and you will be successful. Clients are used to getting transfered to make trades the changes are adversely affecting your crew members and as a result the service that your shareholders are recieving.

Are You Feeling Lucky?

Current Employee - Software Developer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ridiculously good job security
    Good benefits package. You get lots of time off, teams are starting to warm up to telecommuting and flex hours, and the pay isn't super bad right out of college.
    The place is barren after 6:00 PM. Very good work/life balance.

Cons

Ridiculously good job security (lack of layoffs and firings breeds complacency and laziness.)

They're very far behind technologically, but I feel that this is no different than anywhere else in the financial industry. If you get on the right team, this isn't as bad, but the peak is somewhere considerably below other industries.

Here's the biggie - you aren't being hired for a specific position. This means that you can be hired for a position that doesn't take advantage of your strengths, and in some cases, any of your skills. Vanguard likes to do this because they believe that they're hiring you for a career, not a job, and in a couple of years, you'll be able to move on to something you, um, enjoy. Thing is, anyone who is confident, intelligent, and generally, worth employing, will leave and take a job that lets them do what they enjoy *right now.* That's why I've got some interviews scheduled.

Basically, Vanguard can be amazing for the right person. It can also be awful for that same person. It depends on where you land, and that's anyone's guess until you show up for the first day. It's all about winning the lottery. I applied to be a "Java Software Developer", and I don't get to do Java, or software developer. Are you feeling lucky?

Address the cons.