Just a job

Current Employee - Project Administrator in Malvern, PA
Current Employee - Project Administrator in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most people are nice, lots of vacation days, flexible with hours, lots of "fun" things to participate in (United Way, Diversity, etc.)

Cons

Low salaries (60-70 for people in supervisor roles with MBA's and 10+ years experience), limited opportunites to go up any higher than supervisor, reviews are a joke (typically a percentage point or two for pay increases unless you are one of a handful), most people just happy to do the same job for years on end and just coast by, boring jobs, make mountains out of molehills, basically find one negative thing that you did and that becomes a huge deal on your review

Advice to Management

Other than salaries (which they don't even include on surveys anymore), find more career paths where you actually move up vs. just taking laterals for 10 years

Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard

An employer that really cares about its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley Forge, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at the Vanguard Group for 2 years. My pay has increased 10k in that time and I have gotten a promotion. There is 100% job security here as Vanguard has NEVER laid anyone off. The managers really care about employees and if there is something that's wrong, they will actually fix it based on feedback. You have to GIVE the feedback to get it fixed though, obviously they can't fix something if they don't know its broken. As far as compensation goes I feel that I am appropriately compensated for my job. I did get an upward adjustment of my pay because there was unequal pay in my department. The health benefits are really good and there is an on site clinic and gym (in PA and NC offices).

Cons

Feedback given when turned down for a job can be vague, cafeteria has limited selections that are all "healthy."

Great for building your career, not good for established specialists (aka over 50)

Pros

lots of support to build your career - best if you start at Vanguard.

Cons

Unless you are in the top 5% in your specialty, forget Vanguard. Generalists excel, specialists get crushed! Especially if you are an experienced specialist (over 50 and already built your career). Big push to hire younger, less experienced (and less expensive) crew. Service is very standardized - not much creativity/customization unless you pay ad even then, your service team has less than 10 years experience and never worked for any company except Vanguard.

Advice to Management

Don't throw the experience out with the high salary. Client deserve best of the best - and when $$ is the only consideration, you lose creativity for efficiency.