Vanguard

There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

A good resume builder

Current Employee - CRA in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - CRA in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the entry level positions there is a decent work life balance. If you work in a profit center and you hit your numbers you have a lot of freedom to do your job as you see fit. They are well known in the industry and their mutual fund focus makes them efficient in what they do.

Cons

If you move to an exempt position you may actually work more hours for less money than you earned in a non-exempt role when you received overtime. The retail side of the business makes money and the institutional side tends to lose money, so if given a choice you may want to stick with the retail side of the company.

It has already been said in prior postings, but management could do a better job of listening to employees. Changes are made in the name of employee feedback, but many wonder if they are opinion shopping for suggestions that only back what they plan to do anyway.

750 Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard (View Most Recent)

Overall - A good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vanguard has a great team culture and a good atmosphere to work.

Cons

I wouldn't say anything specific that is not good.

Don't drink the kool aid!

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The redeeming qualities of Vanguard continue to disappear. The only thing I cling to these days is that I can get 5 weeks off each year. It is nice not to have to sell or compromise integrity just to make money for the company, but I'm pretty well spent.

Cons

Vanguard is not the lead ship, but a siren leading your personal ship to the rocks. I implore you not to let this happen to you. They have all kinds of postings for Problem Resolution Associates because we desperately need more, but I beg of you DO NOT DO IT. The entire department (all of Operations, really) is so poorly managed that employees are on the verge of mutiny. Resolution Services in particular is quite hostile. Our management in PA has been made WELL aware of how much distrust, disengagement, and outright resentment there is amongst our department. Upper management has made it clear they do not care, openly laughing and joking about our departments low approval and engagement scores to our faces.

As an associate who has been with the company for a number of years now, I recently came to learn that I make a full $6,000 less than brand new hires to Vanguard. This is unique to Resolution Services, as other departments have been given raises for the same licensing that we are now required to get, but our department has decided not to provide us those same raises. They have told us for over a year now that they would reevaluate the pay scale, but I think I am more likely to see a dinosaur than a re-scaling of pay.To their credit, our direct supervisors are miserable too. They seem to understand how much we hate our jobs, but their bosses are so inept and self-important that no change can ever be made.

This department is the Hotel California. Don't pull over.

Understand that we are actually people. We have terrible service levels due to factors beyond the control of the department. Having one 30 minute lunch a week did nothing to help our service levels, but reinstating two is not going to have and effect either. All that does is make us more disgruntled. Also, try talking to us sometime. We're smarter than you think. You can't hide the fact that other people are getting paid more than we are for WAY less work. We work in the most connected department possible, you can't hide info from us. We will continue to go to HR, post negative reviews and actively dissuade other crew from working in our department, regardless of how much we need them. At some point, you are not going to be able to keep this up, I just hope I'm not here when the house of cards falls in on itself.

There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard